Bear hunting/behavior advice

DLOsoft

FNG
I was on a rifle elk hunt this October in SW New Mexico and saw several different bears during my hunt along with a lot of bear sign. I saw the same 2 large bears on 3 different days (separately twice each and together once) and also found bear scat all over the general area. I didn't have a bear tag in my pocket but I looked it up after and bears are over the counter in the area. I'm thinking about going back to the same area next fall in late September/early October to try and kill a bear, but have never actually hunted bears before and was hoping for some insight on bear behavior and patterns.

Is it likely that those same bears will still be in the same general area a year later? They were both really big bears and I have a feeling that there were more in the area as well given the amount of scat I was seeing everywhere. I know that the bears won't get shot between now and then because the season closed while I was there and the area does not have a spring bear season.

HuntWyld

WKR
Can’t speak for that part of the country but on the west coast when I’ve found bears in a certain drainage I tend to see them year after year in that area. Been watching a big chocolate sow for a couple years now go through her biannual stages of Cubs

Alpha60

FNG
Bear behaviour can be predictable. The more you can learn about bears and how they behave, the less likely you will be to have a negative encounter or misinterpret interactions.