Bear hunting North Fork Flathead

Howdy all,

I live in Kalispell and am fairly new to the area... looking for a spring bear hunt area and have heard from some locals that the North Fork Flathead has some good areas...

Anyone hunted in that area and have any tips/advice?

Thanks!

I second what Jason said. Glass the chutes and surrounding areas. Look for good grass, some cover and some water all in the general vicinity.

OP
rileybassman
Sounds good. Thanks for the tips guys... with a heavy winter, will early season be worth getting out for, or best to wait till mid to late season?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Crap shoot I think. I know folks have been seeing bears. Montana got less snow than we did. Still alot of snow here. Heck, it snowed in town Here today. I climbed about 1000ft elevation out of the valley this weekend and there was still knee-deep snow on the road. I think here I might be wasting my time for awhile....still gonna do it though. Good luck.

bhylton

WKR
later in the season is always better. the NF has a ton of bears, but your not going to be able to access by car or easily by foot any hunting "spot" for a month probably. once you can drive in a ways, pick a drainage and glass the south and west slopes.

might help to look for a place that was not harassed by snocats all winter also. might not make a difference, just a thought.

*carry bear spray. just as likely to run into griz as anything

OP
rileybassman
Sounds good... only fall hunted bear before, so appreciate all the info!

bhylton

WKR
Just was up the N fork on thursday. saw a griz right on the main rd near wale creek. still knee to hip deep snow once off plowed roads up north

OP
rileybassman
Nice... yea thinking more mid may before it will open up much... cool seeing a griz tho!

WKR
Definitely lots of bears up there, we see tons Everytime we float up there.

Plenty of Grizzly and wolf too. Pack bear spray, keep your head on a swivel.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk