Bear Hunting SoCal

Elite 1

FNG
Anybody have in general locations to bow hunt bear in either the San Bernadino or Angeles Mtn areas. Any information will be much appreciated. Thanks again !

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
they are all over in those mountains. I would start by looking for bearproof trashcans at trailheads. that will give you a starting point. You can reach out to fish and game biologists. Depending on how far away you are you may want to check up near lytle creek up off the 15

Dave, with all due respect, I have the impression that your question should have been: How do I go about hunting bear in Southern California, rather than asking for a general location.

OP
E

Elite 1

FNG
Yep, sorry, not good at writing on these forums, lol. Thx tho

Okay, there are a lot of different tactics you could employ. The first thing I would do is talk to the various forest service stations and ask about problem bears. The second thing is I would start mapping out all the water sources in and around huntable areas. Simply put, the bears here are dependant on water, so they really tend to be around water sources. Third, search news stories of bears in neighbourhood pools... . From there I would start exploring areas, but I would also take a drag with me, and drag the dirt roads in the evenings/night. Be careful not to kick up to much dust and become an annoyance. Get up super early and drive the roads slow looking for fresh tracks. This will allow you to get an idea of the number and size of the bears using the areas you are checking, direction of travel... Lastly, I would look for food sources, but in short, like any wild animal, they want the most bang for their buck. Meaning, they need to take in more than they expend to survive and grow. I would check food sources last because if you were to start with food sources, you will be covering way to much territory than is possible. The order I mention quickly narrows down your search areas, putting you in good places much sooner.

Best of luck and let us know how you do.

OP
E

Elite 1

FNG
Okay, there are a lot of different tactics you could employ. The first thing I would do is talk to the various forest service stations and ask about problem bears. The second thing is I would start mapping out all the water sources in and around huntable areas. Simply put, the bears here are dependant on water, so they really tend to be around water sources. Third, search news stories of bears in neighbourhood pools... . From there I would start exploring areas, but I would also take a drag with me, and drag the dirt roads in the evenings/night. Be careful not to kick up to much dust and become an annoyance. Get up super early and drive the roads slow looking for fresh tracks. This will allow you to get an idea of the number and size of the bears using the areas you are checking, direction of travel... Lastly, I would look for food sources, but in short, like any wild animal, they want the most bang for their buck. Meaning, they need to take in more than they expend to survive and grow. I would check food sources last because if you were to start with food sources, you will be covering way to much territory than is possible. The order I mention quickly narrows down your search areas, putting you in good places much sooner.

Best of luck and let us know how you do.
Thanks again, really appreciate it !