Bear hunting with rifle shot placement

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
my hunting partner, his daughter and myself have shot allot of bears here on Vancouver Island. Can't go wrong with a little fwd of middle/middle. When they are broadside or slightly quartering away, if you come up off the front leg elbow to mid mid body height, you are right in there.

Bear in the first pic below is a small one and didn't get shot, but in a perfect position for a shot and good example of using the elbow to guide how far back to aim. You'll hit both lungs and have the biggest margin for error. Any deer caliber/bullet placed here will work just fine.

2nd, Slightly quartering to that presents a very tough shot to hit both lungs without risking clipping the onside shoulder. This is not a horrible shot if you are using bonded bullets and or a larger heavy hitting caliber where you know you'd bust through the onside shoulder and get into the lungs. But you can't gurantee what will happen when the bullet hits bone. So for this reason, I avoid onside shoulder shots but don't mind getting into the offside shoulder IF I know I can go through both lungs to get there.

Last Pic, I don't head shoot and have seen a well placed chest shot on a bear fail so this shot isn't even a consideration.

I've personally shot them with .50cal muzzleloader, 30-06( mono and accubonds), 303 savage (mono), 7mm-08 (ttsx).

Shots from 9 yards to 225.

All passthroughs, most are down within 15 yards none went further than 40 yards.

PSX_20220329_175914.jpgPSX_20220329_180922.jpgPSX_20220329_181559.jpg

Last edited:

sambo3006

FNG
Great advice from some experienced guys. Just forward from the middle on broadside. I’ve only killed three bears but my observations of their anatomy are the same. Aiming for the shoulders on a broadside bear puts you in front of the vitals.
FWIW all of my bears were killed with a 200 gr partition from an 8 mm mag. More than is necessary but I see no reason to change.