Bear Hunting WV - Best Locations

slb6630

FNG
I am from PA and am planning a camping trip for fishing and bear hunting in WV in 2022. I am looking at either the Laurel Fork Wilderness area or the Dolly Sods. I'm looking for an area where we can keep and eat the fish and there is a good strong bear population. I would prefer that it is not overrun with people/hunters. Dispersed Tent camping would be our preferred style of camping as I will be brining my 12 man SeekOutside Tipi with stove. Does anyone have any experience in either of these places? Would you have any advice or recommendations?

Thank you,

Steve

OP
S

slb6630

FNG
If you want to stay away from people, Dolly Sods is not the place. Beautiful area, completely overrun by hikers/backpackers.

I had that feeling based on what I saw there earlier this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

slb6630

FNG
If you want to stay away from people, Dolly Sods is not the place. Beautiful area, completely overrun by hikers/backpackers.
Ended up in the Cranberry Wilderness for this trip. Obtained the solitude we were looking for. It was beautiful Country. We saw a lot of deer and some bear sign. We were not able to connect on anything. Thanks for the advise.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
If you plan on doing this hunt again let me know and I can point you to some decent spots, although u were in a pretty great spot there for the fishing, solitude and such

OP
S

slb6630

FNG
If you plan on doing this hunt again let me know and I can point you to some decent spots, although u were in a pretty great spot there for the fishing, solitude and such
Wow! That would be cool. I may decide to go back during the week between Christmas and New Years during the late season rifle doe season and bear season. I still have the tags for this year. I might do it as a backpacking trip this time if I go.

Thank you,

Wow! That would be cool. I may decide to go back during the week between Christmas and New Years during the late season rifle doe season and bear season. I still have the tags for this year. I might do it as a backpacking trip this time if I go.

Thank you,
Double check the regs, but I believe those counties are closed to all doe hunting on public.

OP
S

slb6630

FNG
Will do. I may have misunderstood them. I will review. Thank you,

If I am reading everything right... There is an active antlerless season from the 28th-31st in Pocahontas County where the Cranberry Wilderness is located. Am I missing something?

1671096491532.png
1671096538627.png
1671096607916.png

scwilso35

FNG
I have not hunted Pocahontas County, but it looks to me like you would have needed to apply for an antlerless permit in order to hunt antlerless deer on National Forest in Pocahontas County ("Prior application is required to hunt during the Antlerless Season..."). The permit application is seperate from an N/NN stamp. May want to call District III DNR to clarify.

I have not hunted Pocahontas County, but it looks to me like you would have needed to apply for an antlerless permit in order to hunt antlerless deer on National Forest in Pocahontas County ("Prior application is required to hunt during the Antlerless Season..."). The permit application is seperate from an N/NN stamp. May want to call District III DNR to clarify.
This is the way I took it