Bear locational strategy ID

atorres

FNG
First of all thanks to everyone who's helped out for the WEALTH of information I've gained from this forum.

I'm down to a handful of choices for Idaho bear this May-June. Looking between units 25, 19, 19a and 14. My basic idea was to either hunt 25, or utilize the Salmon breaks in one of the other three.

My question is whether it is likely worth it to hunt the river breaks this late in the season, from may 27-on for about 3 weeks. Or, whether that is late in the season that there is greenup everywhere and there's nothing special about the breaks anymore. Not knowing much about any of the above units, I am trying to get some info on what, if anything, differentiates them from eachother, other than the obvious wilderness quantity in 19. If I essentially have four duplicates here, I'll roll some dice.

Any info on comparative terrain, access (snow), road density etc. much appreciated.

Thanks y'all

Last edited:

P Carter

WKR
Look for some locations in any of those units where you can cover a lot of different elevation zones, check out the different elevations when you get there and focus on the elevation where you see the bears. There will be bears at the right elevations in any of those units. And large areas without bears at the wrong elevations in all of those units. The unit info is now just too broad to really be helpful. Gotta pick some spots and go check ‘em out.

OP
atorres

atorres

FNG
Look for some locations in any of those units where you can cover a lot of different elevation zones, check out the different elevations when you get there and focus on the elevation where you see the bears. There will be bears at the right elevations in any of those units. And large areas without bears at the wrong elevations in all of those units. The unit info is now just too broad to really be helpful. Gotta pick some spots and go check ‘em out.
That's about what I figured. Just leaving it open for anyone who has specific advice for any of the units.

I will definitely keep elevation flexibility in mind as I e scout though, I hadn't thought about that much before. Thanks

When checking out those different elevation levels, are you looking just for the bears, or are you looking for the snow line, green up, etc? Is there anything else to look for besides the snow line, where everything is getting green, and the actual bears/bear sign? I’ll be going out for my first bear hunt this spring. I keep reading that the bears follow the snow, and to focus on finding the new green growth. I haven’t seen anyone recommend looking for any other sign/geographic features in particular.

P Carter

WKR
When checking out those different elevation levels, are you looking just for the bears, or are you looking for the snow line, green up, etc? Is there anything else to look for besides the snow line, where everything is getting green, and the actual bears/bear sign? I’ll be going out for my first bear hunt this spring. I keep reading that the bears follow the snow, and to focus on finding the new green growth. I haven’t seen anyone recommend looking for any other sign/geographic features in particular.
Obviously, you’re there to find bears, so look for bears. Early in the season theyre likely to be right where the vegetation is the greenest. So target that elevation. But you’ll have to see a number of bears to find a shooter. If you’re not seeing bears relatively soon you’re in the wrong spot. Unless it’s really windy or something; that will keep their movement down a bit and you might want to stick around if a spot looks good.