Bear Meat is delicious.

Jusgunn3

Lil-Rokslider
I am hooping to get a bear this year, tried the last few years and came up empty. Good tips for cooking everyone!

Where’s Bruce, what was factored when you said “aged properly “?

This is what made me raise my eyebrows a bit. The people I know who eat bear do not age it at all. It’s down, processed and they’re eating it not too long afterwards just like with deer, elk, etc.

I wonder if that changed the outcome. I mean, it could’ve just been a bad bear(maybe eating trash, rotten carcasses, etc) but I can’t imagine aging would do one of those bears any favors.

jscheil

FNG
I’m wondering the same about the “properly-aged” angle. Clarification would be nice, but I’ll stick to my prep, storage and eating cycle that has served me well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No pictures :(

Today I put a whole bear shoulder on the smoker. Pecan, rubbed with a generous amount of a beef coffee rub. About halfway through I wrapped it up. Smoked for 10 hours until it was falling apart.

Holy Jesus. The people who don’t like bear meat either don’t like beef, they’re doing something wrong in processing, or they’re eating a trash/fish bear.

chhh1984

FNG
I’ve never tasted it. But your pics look like something I would eat in a heartbeat

Hyphen

FNG
I’ve never tasted it. But your pics look like something I would eat in a heartbeat
In an area with a potentially mixed food source, do black bears have a preference? Is it season based? Does it make that much difference in the meat taste? Hunting at middle CO near WY border this fall, elk first rifle.

After reading some of these posts I think I will try smoking a shoulder next time. I don’t have much imagination and usually make Italian sausage out of the entire bear. Everyone I’ve made bear burgers for has loved them

MeatBuck

WKR
This is what made me raise my eyebrows a bit. The people I know who eat bear do not age it at all. It’s down, processed and they’re eating it not too long afterwards just like with deer, elk, etc.
Who r these people that aren’t aging their meat? Especially their deer and elk?

Unless you like to strengthen your jaw muscles by gnawing on rigor mortis, age your meat folks.

Who r these people that aren’t aging their meat? Especially their deer and elk?

Unless you like to strengthen your jaw muscles by gnawing on rigor mortis, age your meat folks.

Ive had zero issues with tough meat and I don’t waste my time aging. I can’t be the only one.

Only taken one bear myself,and it was delicious, I shared the meat with half a dozen other people that were interested in it and only bad response that I got was some of it was a tad chewy but nothing on the flavor.

Mosby

WKR
Spring bear sucks IMO. Make into spicy jerky. Fall bear that is away from dumps can be good. All about the diet. They are what they eat.

KineKilla

WKR
Black Bear 3 Bean Chili.

Good for what ails ya!
d5ef34d58c9d7f450c0088e20163dd83.jpg
7881f8c404e7712bc564cc1af2c89787.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Q child

WKR
Oh hell yeah, d3ntabliss. Never tried it, but that looks awesome. I've got a buddy who is a bear hunter, and he has been telling me that I gotta try it. If it looks anything like that when I do, I will seriously chow down. Beautiful meat. Good work.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Spring bear sucks IMO. Make into spicy jerky. Fall bear that is away from dumps can be good. All about the diet. They are what they eat.

I shot a spring bear while it was eating skunk cabbage. I was a little worried about skunky tasting meat, but it turned out to be a non issue. The spring meat had kind of a plant matter taste, but in a good way. Kind of like celery and walnuts.