Bear Meat is delicious.

Good on you for eating what a lot of people have told me is "no good" or "too greasy". I made stew with merganser a couple years ago and it was delicious. Every duck hunter alive will tell you merganser is gross.

Good on you for eating what a lot of people have told me is "no good" or "too greasy". I made stew with merganser a couple years ago and it was delicious. Every duck hunter alive will tell you merganser is gross.

Kind of sad they’ll say exactly what you said but then turn around and smash on some fast food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, it's better than venison. 10x better than elk!
I shot mine last year and tried telling my buddy how good it was. He was skeptical but after a taste he's hooked.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

i guess it depends on the bear. I killed one right after the snow of the season, it was loaded with berries, field dressed and aged properly and all the fat removed. It was not edible...my dogs wouldn't even touch it.

P1020135.jpg

i've loved bear meat of any kind ever time i've had it. very underestimated in my opinion.

KineKilla

WKR
I have only tried it once and that was simply cooked in butter with salt & pepper. Seemed pretty dang good to me! I have a whole black bear from this spring in my freezer that I have yet to make anything out of. I'm thinking Bear Stew and/or Bear Chili would make for some tasty grub.

RMBHS

FNG
Any other good bear recipes? I have a tag for WI, and am looking to try different things with it.

Spoon063

FNG
I got my first bear this past season. I have to say it’s def in my top favorite 3 meats now. Slow cooked is always a classic, but my wife and I have loved everything we’ve put it with so far.

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
I've eaten 4 bears now and all of them have been great. I understand bears that eat a lot of fish can taste like low tide on a hot day though.

Check out some of Hank Shaw's recipes for some great ideas. His red cooked bear is pretty delicious and a nice contrast to the roasts, stews, and sausage that most bear gets eaten as.

Ucsdryder

WKR

Merganser is gross. Did you have covid and lose your sense of smell and taste before eating it?!!! Lol!

LLB

Lil-Rokslider
I've killed and eaten 2 bears taken in TN. Everyone in my family including my mother and my mother-in-law visiting from Germany loved it. My daughter says it's the best wild game she's eaten, better than antelope, venison and elk.

I've heard some people say it's not good, it must have something to do with what they have been eating. Kind of like wild caught vs farm raised catfish. You can't give me farm raised catfish, it has something to do with the feed they give them.