Bear Meat Prep Recommendations

Ph&s3

FNG
I really should have added that I always cook pork to 145 ish with a little bit of carryover just to make sure you don't want one spot in there being just a little bit rare. The trichinosis in commercial pork is fairly rare nowadays I believe but bear it's pretty common. Just be safe and don't take any chances

Trial153

WKR
I like to trim, brine, net and smoke boneless Hinds into ham. I keep some loin for cutlets and stew, the rest I grind and do smoked sausages or summer sausage .

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Piggyback question for you folks talking about rendering the fat: does that need to be refrigerated? What else are you doing with it?

The biggest thing is getting the hide off of it, and getting it cooled down.

Most people that claim the meat tastes bad. is because people leave the hide on it too long with 3" thick fat and it taints the meat.

Scottyboy

WKR
The biggest thing is getting the hide off of it, and getting it cooled down.

Most people that claim the meat tastes bad. is because people leave the hide on it too long with 3" thick fat and it taints the meat.

Does this also cause a real greasy flavor/texture? I’ve only tried one bear (a Minnesota bear) and it was not good. Not sure if that’s from diet, poor handling of meat etc

Does this also cause a real greasy flavor/texture? I’ve only tried one bear (a Minnesota bear) and it was not good. Not sure if that’s from diet, poor handling of meat etc

A lot of it does depend on diet too. Bit when butchering if you take care to remove as much fat as possible, it gets rid a lot of the unpleasant grease.

WTFJohn

WKR
Sous vide is the way to go for bear. I just finished off the last of some bear fajitas from Sunday and probably will be doing a bear stir fry tonight. 145* for 2.5 hrs with your seasonings & a splash of olive oil, then sear to finish in a cast iron pan & add the rest of your ingredients.

ledflight

WKR
A question on recovery in the field. I know it is vital to get the bear meat cooling asap, but can you share a guide on about how long before the meat starts to turn?
Example, say, how long at 50 outside? Or what about 75 degrees? There is early bear here in NY and it's warm! I would like to know before getting in the woods so early. Thankds!

Will bears eat the gut pile of another bear?

Yes, and tear up the hide and drag off the spine/pelvis to pick that clean as well.

Do you guys make burger out of it? If so how do you like it?

Delicious, just don't dry it out, pull it off at 150 and let it sit for a few minutes. Pro tip: add some blue cheese and bourbon to the paddies ;)

Well I'm at it...

Also have a tenderloin recipe as well as one for smoked ribs and pulled bear sandwiches sitting on ice, really need a week off to do some editing but here we are back in hunting season lol

The number one thing people mess up with bear meat is not sending a sample to get tested for trichinosis. Cooking black bear to 160/165 really limits your recipes. We had a trichinosis negative fall bear last year and it was some of the best wild game that I’ve ever had. Bear steaks medium rare are a whole different ball game if you get lucky enough to get one, what’s the harm in waiting a week or two for results back from your state biology lab.
What is the cost of these test and how to I find my states lab?