Bear Meat

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I was talked to a guy from Michigan who told me a buddy gave him some bear burgers. Said they were the best burgers he ever had. Is this the general consensus?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rclouse79

WKR
My bear last spring turned me into a bear hunter for life. Made a front shoulder roast in the Dutch oven and it was the best thing I have ever eaten. It may have had something to do with the fact my buddy and I suck at field judging bears. We thought it was a monster until we walked up to it.

EastMT

WKR
Bears are highly underrated by most people. Make sure they are cooked well.

Bear rump roast on a rotisserie is amazing, trim into breakfast sausage is great, back strap cooked in fresh bear fat is great.

I like fall alpine bears running berry factories through their intestines the best!

slatty

WKR
I shot my first bear last fall. I ground most of it and really love the ground, we have it all the time now. It's very neutral, really no gamey taste or smell at all that I can detect.

I had the shoulders mad into ham. Family devoured it. Roasts, sausage, pepperoni sticks, stew meat, and ham. Not much of a burger guy. Seems most people burger their meat to camouflage it. IMO

I've been fortunate to eat on I think 3 black bears now and they all have been very good. I've had sausage, burger, smoked roast, and steaks. Very mild and very nice flavor.

I also had some grizzly bear steaks off of the bear I got this fall in Alaska way above the Arctic Circle. It was very good eating and had a great taste. Very similar to black bear I have had.

David

Squamch

WKR
Bear meat is great...unless you shoot a bear and find an old moose carcass between you and where the bear dies. Then the lady of the house will forever ban bear meat from her oven.
Personally, I like to turn them into sausage, so I don't waste venison on sausages.

MTForester

Lil-Rokslider
Bear can be absolutely terrific, borderline inedible, and everything in between.
The best are fall berry bears and the worst are coastal fish eaters. Most spring bears that I have eaten (MTand ID) are decent but not as good as a fall bear straight out of the huckleberry patch.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I have eaten in fine restaurants all over the world. A black bear pot roast I cooked in a Dutch oven from a fall Michigan black bear is still in my top 5 all time. Bear that hasn’t been living off fish is awesome meat.

I've had black bear meat from several different bears, although I've only killed one in my life, and I can't say that I've really enjoyed any of it. As far as the bear meat that's been given to me by friends, they were all spring bears and, although I wasn't around for the hunt, I trust that these buddies cared for the meat properly. As far as the one I shot, it was a young spring bear that died almost immediately (.300wm heart shot), and was impeccably cared for from field to freezer. We did eat the entire bear, but it definitely wasn't the first thing we would reach for when pulling a piece of meat out of the freezer for dinner. The last time I had bear was probably about 12 years or so ago, but after reading all these positive reviews, and my son constantly hounding me to take him bear hunting this year, I think we'll give 'er a go again in a few months. Hopefully we get the opportunity to try black bear again, and hopefully I'll have a change of opinion. We'll see.

hodgeman

WKR
Bears are incredibly variable on the table. The best and worst piece of venison I've had were both black bears. The best was a roast from a big bruiser of a bear that a friend shot way up in the alpine down on the Kenai Peninsula eating berries for a solid month. You could have told me it was veal and I'd believed you. The worst was a bear hit by a car in the fall down in Homer- even as breakfast sausage you could taste the fishy funk.

I've eaten on a couple of others that were pretty good fare.