Bear Paw WD vs Alternatives

cured_ham

WKR
I am looking for my 2021 CO elk shelter. Went out last year and had all that snow dumped on us beginning of September and stalled our hunt for 2 and a half days including a hotel trip to dry clothes and gear. Coming from KY where we rarely get any sizable amount of snow my tent was literally crushed. That was a 7 day hunt that turned in to 5 usable days.

This year I am planning on hunting for 14 days. I have hammocks which I have used all year here down to 11 degrees and I have it pretty dialed. Right at 5lbs for everything and am very confident in it. They are not the best base camp setup though. A lot of my hunting was done from the roads with the occasional 1-2 day spike. I am planning for more of the same this year.

I want a floorless shelter that I can run a stove in to dry gear and warm up in the event of snow/wet. It needs to pitch quickly and easily since I move quite a bit (unit has ton of roads). My number 1 choice is the Cimmaron (or a Megatarp if they were made) but due to cost I may not be able to justify it for 1 trip a year if I do not have to (I hate crappy gear and am looking for a good alternative, not just as good). Shelter is for 2 people (girlfriend and I) and I would like to keep it under 3lbs for the canopy. Needs to fit 2 people plus gear with a stove.

BearPaw Wilderness Designs comes up as a good choice but I have found lots of reviews on this forum and others about issues with the seams and not awesome service. Searches here show issues from 2019 but I am hoping those were "growing pains" of a small business. Has anyone recently dealt with this company? I am not looking to save 200 bucks and buy a problem but the La Garita 3 and Pyratent 4 both look like they may fit my needs.

Thanks in advance

sneaky

"DADDY"
For every person who posts a negative review on any manufacturer online, there's probably a hundred people who were satisfied and didn't take to the web. That's been proven over and over. People will tell everyone if they're upset, if they aren't, they go on about their day. If John at Bear Paw has any customer service interaction at all, good or bad, then he's light years ahead of Luxe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nickstone

WKR
I have a Luna from BPWD from a few years back and also a custom bathtub floor that I had made a year or 2 ago. I'm happy with both, and all of my communication with John.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy something from him again.