Bear Precautions While Backpack Hunting

Wapiti16

FNG
Not related to bear hunting, but hunting in bear country:

In an area of Colorado public land that has plenty of bears, but also plenty of human traffic, should any additional precautions be taken while backpack hunting/camping?

I have dayhunted this area with my family for many years, but am planning on doing some long weekend backpack trips. When we dayhunt, we have never been concerned with bears; we hunt smart and give space to any we encounter. Normally if we see any while hunting, they run for the hills if they see you. I don't know of any negative/violent bear encounters in that area.

I'm not sure if I should take any additional safety measures since I will be backpack camping as I've never heard anything like that mentioned for black bear country, just grizzly country. Like I said, we've seen plenty of bears, and all of them have been afraid of humans. Should I be concerned with food in my pack at night? Would some type of deterrant be a smart carry just in case? I'm not afraid of them, I just want to treat this as it should be treated. Of all the gear dump videos and pack lists I've seen over the years, I've never seen anybody mention anything special for black bear country.

Being from the Southeast, this isn't something we have to deal with; we've got some bears but we generally aren't sleeping out there with them :cool:

OP
W

Wapiti16

FNG
Hang your food and don’t worry about it.

I guess that's what I'm asking, is that what people normally do? I've never heard one person who hunts the backcountry alot ever mention taking any precautions unless they're in griz country.

JohnB

WKR
I'll hang mine mostly. Sometimes I don't bother, but i should be better about that.

Poser

WKR
I guess that's what I'm asking, is that what people normally do? I've never heard one person who hunts the backcountry alot ever mention taking any precautions unless they're in griz country.

It’s debatable, but it’s generally considered the “responsible” thing to do in bear country. At a minimum, it potentially avoids conditioning bears to not fear humans by attracting curious bears in to close proximity to you. The only time I don’t hang my feet is when I’m camping near or above treeline and the trees are either too short or unavailable.

They'll get in your camp and ruin your stuff. Hanging food makes that less likely to happen. Other than that, I've never had a problem with them.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
I hang my food for 2 reasons.. I don't want them to destroy my gear and I don't want to come back to no food left in camp. I don't want to have to waste a day going out and replacing either food or gear.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I hang my food and always carry my 10mm while bowhunting the backcountry. Bears aren't the only things to respect in CO there's moose and mountain lions. Had a friend charged last September bow season by an ornery cow moose when he inadvertantly got in between her and calf. Other than that, enjoy the outdoors and don't worry about the other predators just be prepared to handle the situation.

VernAK

WKR
Pee around your campsite to create a scent barrier. Not foolproof but helps in many instances. We also use Critter Gitter alarms when on canoe trips. Somewhere I have some video of a bear approaching up the beach until he triggers the alarm.........it was quite effective!