Bear Proof Food Container

CB4

WKR
Planning my first trip out west for September and going to be hunting an area that requires a bear proof food container. There seem to be two styles and a few companies that make each. My question is which style do you prefer and why or feel free to mention a specific one and why.

This will be for a week long trip. Most that can hold that capacity seem to be around 80 new so planning on spending around that.

Thanks in advance for your input!

NEhunter

WKR
If it’s acceptable in your area, id look into the Ursack that’s probably your lightest option, if not I’ve used a bearvault 500 that Really sucks to pack lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
If it’s acceptable in your area, id look into the Ursack that’s probably your lightest option, if not I’ve used a bearvault 500 that Really sucks to pack lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for info! I just checked and the Ursack is approved. I had not seen that one and glad I found it. I was not looking forward to a BearVault style one.

The Ursack works. We hunted an area last year that required them and now I just always bring it because it is so light. Mine has survived two different bears.

Hopefully they have produced more, but we had a very hard time tracking a couple down last fall so get on it early. We literally had the owner calling around to places he distributes to and eventually he found us a couple in California.

87TT

WKR
I have and have used the Bear Vault, Garcia and the Ursack. The Ursack works (mine has teeth marks from two bears fight over it) The two hard ones weigh over two lbs. The Ursack is like 8 oz. They all hold about the same except the small Bear Vault model. If you pack them wisely, you can get a weeks worth for one person in them. That means if you plan on Mountain House or similar, You better repackage them in ziplocks. The downside to the Ursack is if a bear gets to it, A) they can carry it off and it's gone B) the stuff inside can get real tenderized as in packages destroyed and stuff all mixed together. C) they are a little more work as they need to be "tied" to something secure and preferably up off the ground so a bear can't really work on it.
I like the Ursack for the weight and the others for ease of use.

87TT

WKR
Oh yeah, check with the Forrest Service near where you are going. In Ca, they rent the Garcia ones for cheap.

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
Pulled the trigger on a Ursack. On their website they are in stock for every size I believe. Look like a great product! I appreciate the input.

The ursacks are awesome. Mine hasn't seen a bear but has saved my food from mice and other mini bears