Bear safety in the backcountry

PhillyB

Well Known Rokslider
Hey all:
This year will be my first trip into country that has black bears. Where I have hunted in the past it was not a concern. So I am a rookie on bear safety.

What are some recommendations on keeping safe when I put the bivy down for the night?

My biggest questions are what to do with food storage and left over bags, wrappers, etc? I do the mountain house meals and granola bars, candy bars, typical back country food.

Is putting everything in a ziploc and sealing it enough to limit smell or do I need to do more?

Finally, is there anything else I should know about to limit my chances of being abruptly woken up by an unwanted visitor?

Thanks in advance

dotman

I just hang my food in a dry sack (trash in a zip lock) and other stuff that might interest a bear about 50 yards from camp. I also cook 20 yards away from camp. I haven't had an issue.

Tdiesel

Well Known Rokslider
98% of the time there wont be an issue if you clean up but depends on the area of the state and if the bears are around people a lot or not those that get stuff from people become the problem. They turn brave and lose their fear.

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
highwolf