Bear season Missouri

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Missouri announced a limited draw bear season this year. Does anyone have experience hunting bear without dogs or bait in thick oak woods like we have here? It seems like a daunting task where you're only likely to get one if you happen to see one whitetail hunting. Am I wrong? What techniques are useful?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR
Scents and calls. They a curious, opportunistic predator. Imagine you have better luck in the south end toward the lake. I grew up in Buchanan county which is just north of Kansas city and we would see them, or sign of em fairly regularly. Sometimes down in Joplin country.

Can you use scent rags. Kind of thing you do for trapping?

This is cool, about time the finally acknowledged

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Scents and calls. They a curious, opportunistic predator. Imagine you have better luck in the south end toward the lake. I grew up in Buchanan county which is just north of Kansas city and we would see them, or sign of em fairly regularly. Sometimes down in Joplin country.

Can you use scent rags. Kind of thing you do for trapping?

This is cool, about time the finally acknowledged
I think scents are permitted but I'll have to look.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

colby12

WKR
Little different place but similar habitat if I had to guess but I shot a bear last year in Colorado in real thick scrub oak. Was a much different hunt than I was expecting. I stumbled on an area with a significant amount of sign on a decent trail through thick scrub oak. Tried multiple different approaches to the area which turned into countless miles of hiking through incredibly thick oak, but ended up following what turned out to be a game trail to a nice spring that wasn't on a map that I could find and sat on it. Within 10 minutes of sitting down the bear cruised up to get a drink. It was pretty warm so that may have had something to do with it. There was new scat on the trail every day in varying amounts and the spring had a good amount of tracks.