Bear Season!

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
Washington's bear season starts August 1st, right around the corner!

My son and I have done well on black bear here in Washington before and I hope to hunt pretty seriously for bear again this year. No baiting allowed. No hound hunting either here. So, it's "spot and stalk" for the most part, though I've also had one come in to my mouth-blown predator call. That got intense.

My son uses a 30-06 Model of 1917, sporterized, with 165 grain Nosler Partition bullets that I handload for the old rifle.

I have used both my 30-06 and the 375 H&H Ruger Number One single shot to take black bear. I think I'm going with the 375 again this year. No reason not to, it works great and is fun to carry and shoot. I use a 260 grain Nosler Accubond when I hunt with the 375.

We won't have to go far, the local hills hold quite a few bear.

Pt4t2CGh.jpg

Anyone else bear hunting this season? When and where?

Regards, Guy

OP
Guy

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
Well, twist my arm about the rifle photos. ;)

Here's the Ruger Number One in 375 H&H with a 1.5-5x Leupold mounted. I bought the rifle, used 11 years ago. Haven't taken anything but bear with it, though I've also carried it for elk. I know that level of power isn't needed for black bear, but I really like the rifle & cartridge. Handloaded 260 grain Nosler Accubonds are what I hunt with, loaded to about 2650 fps. More like a big push than a snappy, harsh recoil. That's a 270 grain RNSP Hornady bullet in the top photo. Rifle shoots well, carries nicely:

bHD5TcYh.jpg

uFpkTwwh.jpg

First bear I shot with it, 2010. A Washington bear, squares a bit over 6 feet. Beautiful color! Had an old 2-7 Redfield on the rifle then. One shot, 306 yards.
Z9FPxHnh.jpg

Regards, Guy

flytrue

FNG
Hey, what kind of call did you use to lure a bear in with? I've tried calls, but no luck. I even tried to call a bear I was watching fro 100 yards away and it ran away.
Thanks.

I hunt in a similar fashion to you but over here in the Virginia mountains primarily. I don't use bait or dogs, but lots of people hunt with dogs. I have used both rifles and bows for bears but out early bow season definitely has the most bear activity. Best of luck on your upcoming season! I have a significantly longer wait until October 3rd here in VA.
Beautiful shootin' irons by the way!

Hey, what kind of call did you use to lure a bear in with? I've tried calls, but no luck. I even tried to call a bear I was watching fro 100 yards away and it ran away.
Thanks.
I've called a lot in during turkey season with just turkey calls.
During bear season I've had luck with rabbit calls. Called them in a few times calling elk. It's mostly curiosity that pulls them in when it comes to predator calling.

It's like calling anything though. Some bears bail, some come in on a string, some wait until the sound is done and circle back to check it out.

Reactions: Guy

Lowg08

WKR
I will be hunting them in the mountains of WNC. public land. It will be with a bow only because it during deer season too. If I get a chance to put the moves on one I will.

OP
Guy

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks.

Doe-fawn bleat. Pretty steep, forested terrain. I did my best to make it sound like a young mule deer was hurt. That bear came in with quite an attitude!

:)

Guy

Wrench

WKR
Guy, I'll be doing the same. I will put in a few days in the NE corner where I've typically done well....but honestly my love for hunting washington has grown smaller despite the fantastic success it has offered me.

Idaho was kind enough to sell me two bear tags at $41 each. Washington bears are easier to spot and stalk, Idaho allows bait.....tough one.

I just kill these things to help the elk and make sausage. I've taken 3 big bears in recent years and they're hides and heads are still in the freezer. I should rug one some day but I look at it as my out of state hunting fund.

Lowg08

WKR
I have been studying using the distress calls for predators. Distress fawn rabbit and such.

Lowg08

WKR
For my area the dawn distress seems to be the most useful but not with high percentage

workethic

FNG

My son and I have done well on black bear here in Washington before and I hope to hunt pretty seriously for bear again this year. No baiting allowed. No hound hunting either here. So, it's "spot and stalk" for the most part, though I've also had one come in to my mouth-blown predator call. That got intense.

My son uses a 30-06 Model of 1917, sporterized, with 165 grain Nosler Partition bullets that I handload for the old rifle.

I have used both my 30-06 and the 375 H&H Ruger Number One single shot to take black bear. I think I'm going with the 375 again this year. No reason not to, it works great and is fun to carry and shoot. I use a 260 grain Nosler Accubond when I hunt with the 375.

Pt4t2CGh.jpg

Regards, Guy

Ill be headed to colorado next week to chase some black bears. Hopefully the deer and elk hunters havent been too active, but it really doesnt matter. It will be nice to get out and look at what nature has to offer. I guess I'll have that "camp fire" smell ready for me with all the fires in the area...

Pt4t2CGh.jpg

Regards, Guy
Any luck?