Bear Spray - Have the studies been misleading?

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion is that if people really "need" studies, reports, research, and others to tell them what they should do or how to do it, then they're probably better off avoiding those situations or activities altogether.
ditto.

I agree the information is valuable and changes my perspective a bit. I’ve encountered maybe 20 black bears in my life, never a grizzly. 18 of those 20 sped off like their Ass was on fire.

I felt afraid one time when I quietly came up behind a large boar and didn’t notice him until he was about thirty feet away. I stopped and retreated while facing him. When he was about 100 feet away I coughed. He looked my way and started to leave so I clapped and yelled to encourage him. I had a 4” knife and a stick. I moved out of there fast choosing a path with better visibility.

I was concerned another time when my brother and and I spooked up a big sow with two Cubs In a berry patch. She moved away but stopped and glared at about 50 yards. My brother was attempting to roust one of the Cubs until I explained what was happening then he stopped. Once she had both Cubs rounded up she shambled away, but she did not appear very afraid even though we had a dog with us.

most here have fatally shot a large animal and know that you can deliver a fatal shot and they may still have enough gas in the tank to stuff both your gun and your bear spray up your butt.

I must say that I’m capable of fair accuracy working my gun under pressure or even in the dark, not so much with the bear spray. Since I don’t shoot the canister often I’m not sure how to work it when I pick it up and probably as likely to spry myself as the bear.

I'm pretty sure it's Vias, and bears train the Shayetet 13 in krav maga.
This guy gets it.....

If we're trying to avoid bear attacks then we should focus on attracting bears to areas we don't plan on being in.. Best way to do that is have a large hole filled with honey and dead elk or deer.. The bears will flock there and we can walk through the woods without fear of meeting up with a bear

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
If you are carrying both and have to use one and it is effective that is the one you will say worked and stand behind. You won't be left thinking "maybe I should have used he other one". But be forewarned, just because it worked once does not mean it will work again on the next encounter.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
I agree the information is valuable and changes my perspective a bit. I’ve encountered maybe 20 black bears in my life, never a grizzly. 18 of those 20 sped off like their Ass was on fire.

I felt afraid one time when I quietly came up behind a large boar and didn’t notice him until he was about thirty feet away. I stopped and retreated while facing him. When he was about 100 feet away I coughed. He looked my way and started to leave so I clapped and yelled to encourage him. I had a 4” knife and a stick. I moved out of there fast choosing a path with better visibility.

I was concerned another time when my brother and and I spooked up a big sow with two Cubs In a berry patch. She moved away but stopped and glared at about 50 yards. My brother was attempting to roust one of the Cubs until I explained what was happening then he stopped. Once she had both Cubs rounded up she shambled away, but she did not appear very afraid even though we had a dog with us.

most here have fatally shot a large animal and know that you can deliver a fatal shot and they may still have enough gas in the tank to stuff both your gun and your bear spray up your butt.

I must say that I’m capable of fair accuracy working my gun under pressure or even in the dark, not so much with the bear spray. Since I don’t shoot the canister often I’m not sure how to work it when I pick it up and probably as likely to spry myself as the bear.
Only way I can think of to practice using bear spray is to fill a plastic spray bottle with water.

This is an interesting article where the author does a deep dive analysis into some of the studies relating to Bear Spray and Handgun/rifle Effectiveness during bear encounters. His conclusions are more data driven then emotion driven. I'd not seen it before, hopefully it's helpful.
Thanks for the post.... Interesting read.

Warmsy

WKR
I usually feint, then circle behind the bear while it's lunging the other direction, and jump on its back and put it in a full Nelson. After it submits, it recognizes me as the master and then steals pickanick baskets for me, king of the forest. Why would you shoot or spray the bear?

2ski

WKR
Only way I can think of to practice using bear spray is to fill a plastic spray bottle with water.
You can buy inert bear spray to practice with. In fact it's probably a really good idea to get some. It's just air in a can. But it gives you the practice of pulling the safety off and spraying. Ive seen where you can buy a 2 pack. 1 spray and one inert. To add to it, have someone roll a soccer ball or something from behind you and yell "now" and then fumble with it and see how well you do. Spray in front of the bear so that it runs into the spray. If you aim at the head, the bear will run under the spray. And as you spray, step off to the side. So that the blinded bear doesn't continue towards you.

I was in Sportsman’s the other day and they now sell practice cans for about 20 bucks each. They have something else in them not bear spray.

dla

WKR

This is an interesting article where the author does a deep dive analysis into some of the studies relating to Bear Spray and Handgun/rifle Effectiveness during bear encounters. His conclusions are more data driven then emotion driven. I'd not seen it before, hopefully it's helpful.
The article was a good read. I'm biased towards firearms and the article fed my bias.

2ski

WKR
He mentions Todd Orr in the article. What he doesn't mention is that Todd himself says what he did wrong in deploying the spray. He didn't get out of the way. So the blinded charging bear ran into him.

Also, I'm curious at the # of reported times spray has been reported to have been deployed vs. A gun. If you shoot a bear in self defense, you're going to report it most likely. If you just spray it....who knows.

I carry either or, depending on the situation. I've practiced with inert spray and I've obviously shot my gun.

Laramie

WKR
He mentions Todd Orr in the article. What he doesn't mention is that Todd himself says what he did wrong in deploying the spray. He didn't get out of the way. So the blinded charging bear ran into him.

Also, I'm curious at the # of reported times spray has been reported to have been deployed vs. A gun. If you shoot a bear in self defense, you're going to report it most likely. If you just spray it....who knows.

I carry either or, depending on the situation. I've practiced with inert spray and I've obviously shot my gun.
I have heard that not all those shot in self defense are reported... here say of course.

madcalfe

WKR
well out of all the years of elk and sheep hunting it hasn't crossed my mind once to carry bear spray.
the 300wsm is a "effective bear deterrent"