Bear spray in Colorado?

Bar

Banned
Do you guys carry a first aid kit and other emergency gear when in the mountains alone? Have you ever needed it? If you've never needed it. Do you still carry it?

oldgoat

WKR
Ten or eleven seasons under my belt here and I haven't needed it yet, but I carry it just in case. I did unholster it once on a dark moonless night but not because of a bear, but because of a rutty bull moose, still didn't need it but didn't want to change my egress route either. Never seen the moose but we could sure hear him!

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
I'm buying some this year not for bears but for Mountain lions. That way when it's eating my old ass, it'll be nice and peppery.....

Honestly bears don't worry me at all unless I'm in grizzly county. The mountain lions do though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I personally know someone that was killed by a black bear in Alaska. He had killed a pile of grizzly bears and had spent incredible amount of time in the bush. I honestly never gave them much thought of black bears before this either. Pretty rare but they kill people every year

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ten or eleven seasons under my belt here and I haven't needed it yet, but I carry it just in case. I did unholster it once on a dark moonless night but not because of a bear, but because of a rutty bull moose, still didn't need it but didn't want to change my egress route either. Never seen the moose but we could sure hear him!
I had moose drama last year that made me wish I had spray with me. Those guys can get pretty stupid

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Considering carrying a can this year myself. I am in the woods for work all of the time with a healthy black bear population and have never wanted it. My regular elk hunting location has very few bears so I'm not concerned much there either. But the Great Pyrenees protecting the flocks get my attention. I was cut off from camp one night last year after the sheep moved in and I had to skirt the group in the dark. I was sure one of those dogs was going to take exception to my lurking around the flock in the dark. Spray might be a better alternative to the kerfuffle that would follow shooting one of the dogs.

dotman

WKR
I have hunted elk all over CO @ least one season each of the last 30 years. Never needed or considered bear spray until last Sept. Last year I was approached by 2 bears in an hour while sitting a pond. One was 20 yd away, headed toward me when I began talking to him. He kept walking so I stood up. He then saw me and made haste back into the oakbrush, the way he came. The (much) bigger one came in 40 min later from a different direction, veered around me 40 yds away, went up the same oak hillside as his little buddy Boo Boo had earlier. Walking out to the truck after sunset the next evening, another big dude was heading toward the trail I was walking, 200 yards behind me. I walked pretty fast back to the truck. Except for that spot I have never seen multiple bears while hunting, and have never been close enough to be concerned. I started off this post to say don't bother w bear spray in CO, but I'm rethinking.

That's a pretty normal day in SW CO, unless you have a tag in your pocket.

I always have a pistol but tend not to carry spray. Had a bear step on the edge of our base camp tent this past Sep. What I have noticed is 99% of Bears are pretty scared and 1% aren't as scared. It's the 1% I plan for, no reason to fear them but they do deserve respect.

Last edited:

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
What's the reasons why someone wouldnt carry it? I cant imagine it's due to weight...possibly price? I was new to hunting when I hunted Kodiak and sure wished I had it with me when I went simply for the peace of mind. If you're questioning whether to bring it, I think you answered you're own question. when you're out there and your head is on a constant swivel worrying about bears or wondering if you should of brought it, it is going to take away from the enjoyment of what you are there to do.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In over 35 years of hunting, hiking, camping, and fishing CO I have never even given a thought to bringing bear spray. Nor have I known anyone that has.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I don't carry bear spray. That doesn't mean it's right, I just don't. I usually have a pistol or rifle in my hands when I'm pushing through country where the probability is high, but I've been around a lot of black bears and have even found myself between mom and cubs at my house by accident and she seemed very peaceful. Grizzlies are a different animal all together and in that case I sure wouldn't mess with bear spray.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I take it for the competition.

If I see a dude going to my spot... "Hey buddy, there's a bear right behind you. Don't worry, I got this".

Boom, problem solved. I'm a problem solver.

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
Comparing Kodiak to the Colorado high country is a bit of a stretch.

That wasn't my intention. I don't live in bear country and that has been my only experience hunting with any type of bears around. Just trying to say that if you don't live in bear country and you are going to hunt in it, bring bear spray if it will make you more comfortable. Just using my experience as an example.

JWP58

WKR
[Real reason for spray; I don't want to get shot if I snap a stick and startle a newbie in the Co woods]

Don't believe Feinstein, I doubt folks just start blasting at the snap of a twig. But if they do, per TP (our resident handgun expert) it will take the avg person about 3 mins to draw and fire their handgun. So no worries.

Op, carry what you feel comfortable with, and what enables you to enjoy your hunt.

Pow

FNG
Sure bear attacks happen, but that would be unusual. There have been a couple bear attacks around here lately, but both they were in trash filled homeless camps in town.

Everything you carry costs weight and since bears are almost always timid and I am armed with a bow or rifle during hunting season, I definitely don't carry spray.

Bar

Banned
Don't you ever scout or go for hikes?

This thread needs to end. If you don't want to carry spray that's your choice. There's no need to say it's not needed. Neither is a spare tire until you need it. Some of us like to be prepared for anything. Others take chances. It's personal.

I have it but never felt the need in Colorado, now in Yellowstone/Northern Wy....different story.

In all the time I have spent in the central to southern CO mountains, have never even seen a bear on the hoof, although a friend hunting an OTC spot we hunt saw one last year. It is in my gear, but like I said, never felt the need.

dotman

WKR
I have it but never felt the need in Colorado, now in Yellowstone/Northern Wy....different story.

In all the time I have spent in the central to southern CO mountains, have never even seen a bear on the hoof, although a friend hunting an OTC spot we hunt saw one last year. It is in my gear, but like I said, never felt the need.

I just don't get how anyone can hunt southern CO and not see a single 🐻 I have had days were I've seen none and days I've seen 5+. I guess if your only there a day or two maybe but in a weeks time it's weird to not see bear 50% of the time.