Bear spray not very effective against aggressive bears...

brsnow

WKR
People manipulate stats to fit agendas. The only truth I got out of that article is there is not enough data to have any meaningful conclusion for any method.

To me, bear spray is only effective if conditions are absolutely 100% perfect. You need a good wind directly at your back. If you spray into the wind, or in a swirling wind, or in a tent/shelter- you are going to be just as inebriated as the bear. Both of you will be wallowing around and kicking and screaming and blind. I guess at that point- whoever regains composure first wins... The spray is no joke, even minor residue in the air will effect humans.
I would agree that it is a option on a nuisance bear, but I would not trust it as my only option on an aggressive bear.

Ive posted it up here before , but i guess theres lots of new people here all the time so it "bears" repeating.
Watched my co-worker spray a maybe 110lb female (black bear)at point blank. She obviously had to be stressed by being in a culvert trap, but had been there before so she was kinda taking it all in stride. Long story short she took a full on blast to the nose and eyes and did nothing but maybe 2 or 3 blinks and lick her lips. I remember feeling like she thinks we just gave her some new hot sauce to try. I on the other hand got some in my eyes from secondary contact. I was worthless for a bit (more than usual).

Ymmv, but I wouldnt trust my life to spray in a million years. If youre a bowhunter only and dont feel safe with a handgun, i guess it's better than your pocket knife.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I personally wouldn’t count on bear spray. I would also be reluctant to hunt with anyone who is using bear spray. I don’t want to be incapacitated in a life threatening situation with a bear. There’s always the risk your partner shoots you instead of the bear but there’s risks anyway you go.

dustin862

FNG
Bear spray is overrated and has been well know to be ineffective by most guides. Hence the reason the carry rifles or shotguns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azone

WKR
I've always preferred a pistol, I've been hit with pepper spray before (idiot co worker screwing around with a can of it he had found in a car he bought, no not by police) it sucks plain and simple and I was hit by overspray or drift, whatever you want to call it. A healthy dose or direct hit from that stuff inadvertently from yourself or a friend on top of angry bear problems causing you to be ripped up or mauled would be a horrible ending for a hunt.
Odds are most of us are not going to be fast enough to get the can or the gun in an accurate firing position before a bear is on top of us anyways. In my opinion the spray would be useless if a bears literally on top of you at least a pistol you could still maybe have a chance to get one off point blank and get some separation. But I have never been attacked by a bear or been involved with a bear attack situation and hope I never am. So Im just stating my opinion and thought on the subject, not pulling from experience. Odds are i would probably be on the ground trying to keep my head and neck covered with my hands praying that it goes away or my friend would be able to kill the thing before it kills me. As for the New York Times article stating guns not working better than spray we all know that's just part of an agenda.

Rokwiia

WKR
The article was meaningless in my opinion. No critical analysis reported of each of the 9 cases involved.

Why is it one or the other? When in brown bear territory why not carry both? If your firearm jams, you're toast. If the pepper spray doesn't stop the charge, you're toast. With both you have a backup.

The article was meaningless in my opinion. No critical analysis reported of each of the 9 cases involved.

Why is it one or the other? When in brown bear territory why not carry both? If your firearm jams, you should have been carrying a revolver. If the pepper spray doesn't stop the charge, you're toast. With both you have a backup.

Ftfy

ZT3006

FNG

Why is it one or the other? When in brown bear territory why not carry both? If your firearm jams, you're toast. If the pepper spray doesn't stop the charge, you're toast. With both you have a backup.
I like having the idea of a back up but would you have enough time to attempt to use both in an event of a charging bear?

muddydogs

WKR
Same old bull crap post that has been posted and reposted for the last 20 years. You have the anti bear spray crowd and shortly the pro bear spray crowd will be along to turn this into a pissing match. Why bother starting a new post, instead do a search and read numerous posts about the subject to get your jollies.

I say carry what you want by why limit your options. To say you wouldn't hunt with someone that carry's bear spray is just idiotic, I would be less apt to hunt with someone that thinks like that.

I like when these threads pop up from time to time, it's almost as entertaining as the
"Which 6.5 cr bullet for elk" threadstenor.gif