Bear spray or pistol?

jmez

WKR
I take both most of the time. I always have spray, don't always take the handgun.

You have every right to protect yourself, with deadly force if needed. The law is pretty clear on that.

Last edited:
Spray. If you don't have a grizzly bear tag then you have no business shooting one. If you're scared stay the **** out of the woods.
Seriously. All these hunters unloading on bears this year has really made me wonder how it's even legal to carry a sidearm when archery hunting. You CHOSE to go sneaking around in griz country. The bear doesn't deserve a face full of lead because of YOUR highly questionable (common-sense wise) choices for recreation. Bring the spray and take responsibility for your choices. Spray has been proven very effective and it's non-lethal. You owe the bear that much respect when you choose to go tip toeing through its house.
I can't tell if this is trolling or just a window licker escaped from the basement.

Marketer2

FNG
I’ve heard that wasp spray is more effective. Sprays further and just as irritating. I’d rather not be sprayed with either. Lol. I carry my .45 for bears but in Az they typically just run the other way.

Marble

WKR
If your spray a bear, you will get sprayed too. Ive used pepper spray on several people and dogs and if I don't get a full dose I get enough where I'm partially screwed up.

Pistol with bird shot in first shot. But only if it will cycle through the gun. Otherwise, shoot until dead.

mt100gr.

WKR
Seriously. All these hunters unloading on bears this year has really made me wonder how it's even legal to carry a sidearm when archery hunting. You CHOSE to go sneaking around in griz country. The bear doesn't deserve a face full of lead because of YOUR highly questionable (common-sense wise) choices for recreation. Bring the spray and take responsibility for your choices. Spray has been proven very effective and it's non-lethal. You owe the bear that much respect when you choose to go tip toeing through its house.
Oh dear, then what is your advice to the bears and their decision making? I would say they're (bears) making 'highly questionable' decisions when they engage people. Occasionally bears need to be reminded to respect humans. Respect goes both ways. if something tries to kill me, I'm going to do anything I can to kill it first.
I carry both.

I had a pistol and wished I had spray. I just needed to haze the bear away, not go talk to fish and game the next day. This was at a put in for a mutlti day raft trip.

cgasner1

WKR
Any other Montana residents get that grizzly survey in the mail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sleep better at night with my pistola in my tent.
Having one or more additional people with you is the most important thing that no one has yet mentioned. Spray vs pistol has no right answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's always nice if
I’ve heard that wasp spray is more effective. Sprays further and just as irritating. I’d rather not be sprayed with either. Lol. I carry my .45 for bears but in Az they typically just run the other way.

That's been my experience as well, for the most part. Although I had an experience this past August while scouting with a big boar who was obviously eating meat judging by the black scat "piles" he was leaving everywhere. He had me, had I not turned and yelled startling him at the last second. I did not have time to pull my .45 or if I would of had spray.

As fast as he came, a human is not gonna outrun a bear intent on getting you. Nor is a human gonna climb a tree and escape. So don't even try. This bear climbed 25' up after breaking off the attack at the last possible second.

This gave me time to draw my .45. As the bear climbed and then came back down, big chunks of bark were flying off the tree. I'll never forget that sound and seeing that. When the bear got to the bottom of the tree he was leaning up against it briefly as I was looking slightly up at him. Not only do I have my .45 pointed at him but I am yelling at him from probably 5 yards or less. I remember thinking to myself "this could be it for one of us". As he dropped down on all 4's, his head was facing the other direction and it was somewhat of a relief until he turned and stared me down. Lemme tell ya, he was not scared of that .45 one bit. He slowly walked off stopping and turning to look at me about every 20 yards until he was far enough I felt safe enough to go the other way.

A couple weeks later he showed up on our trail cam less than an 1/8 mile away that we pulled during the second archery hunt. I've had numerous bear encounters in that country and never felt threatened. Until that day.2637.jpeg

All these hunters unloading? Seriously? Go back and re read. You're trying to fit your narrative in. Very liberalesk ;)

Jimss

WKR
I think a lot comes down to the location you are spending time with bears.

I've been around a lot of bears (both black, griz, and brown bears) in Alaska. Most of the brownies are only interested in salmon so really don't seem like much of a threat. Sows with cubs can be intimidating though! The big thing with bears on salmon creeks is to keep your eyes and ears open and don't spook them or get between sow and cubs. I've pretty much fished side-by-side brownies day after day in Alaska without any problems. I've had gobs of close encounters with salmon bears but none were life-threatening.

When hunting inland grizz in Alaska it's nice having a rifle around camp and always keeping eyes and ears open. I would definitely recommend a hotwire fence around camp....especially in areas where there are no trees to hang food, etc.

Here in Colo I haven't had any bear problems...other than a blacky taking off with a sleeping bag inside my tent. Luckily he left it around 100 yards from my tent! I really see no need to carry bear spray or a pistol in Colo....it's just one more thing to lug around in a pack.

If hunting out of Cody Wyo there is a good chance I may carry a little more protection and also have a hot wire fence around my tent/camp.

OP
M
As a resident of NJ. I can get a pistol permit, but I can only transport it from my home to an authorized range. If I can't prove I'm on my way to a range I will be arrested. So I would only be able to use a spray or shotgun, And I agree if the wind is wrong I will up close and personnel with the bear. I'm not afraid to be around bears I chase them off my garbage can wkly. here, I'm just cautious is all. Bears are wild and unpredictable, especially the ones use to being around people. here in NJ they don't have any real fear of people.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
My hunting buddies all have asked me why I carry a .45. My reply is " cause they don't make a .46" I'm sure bear spray COULD work, I know my .45 does.

jsb

FNG
I can't tell if this is trolling or just a window licker escaped from the basement.

35 years hiking and hunting in grizzly country bud. You?

lol . spoken like a true moron.

Whatever you say genius. Lol

Oh dear, then what is your advice to the bears and their decision making? I would say they're (bears) making 'highly questionable' decisions when they engage people. Occasionally bears need to be reminded to respect humans. Respect goes both ways. if something tries to kill me, I'm going to do anything I can to kill it first.
I carry both.

Maybe they "engage" because you stepped on them while they were sleeping? Or crept up on them with their young ones? Not exactly a shocking reaction. What the hell did you think was going to happen?

humans have every bit as much right to be in the woods as yogi does.

Wut

All these hunters unloading? Seriously? Go back and re read. You're trying to fit your narrative in. Very liberalesk ;)

Have you paid any attention to all the conflicts in Montana this year? Go back online and read up.

A bear should not have to pay the ultimate price because somebody willfully ignores every single protocol for safe travel in bear country by sneaking around alone. Sack up and carry the spray, even better carry two. Take some responsibility for your risky decisions rather than just shooting a bear because you snuck up on him. It's not the bear's fault, it's YOUR decision making that is at fault.