Bear spray or pistol?

What are you using and why? I am going to use a spray as I have no desire to own a pistol. Plus in my mind, I think a spray would be easier to use leaving a large cloud for the bear to enter and the spray has been proven to stop an attacking bear in its tracks, it may not be foolproof but nor would a pistol be. With a pistol even if you were able to keep it together and hit an attacking bear he could still be on you. With the spray, if used right you should have at least a 5- foot cloud of spray the would have to pass through. Just my opinion and I am wondering what your thoughts are. If I had my way, I would be using a 12-gauge shot with buckshot.

Bears can go through that spray and still be in you. Difference is a bear with a couple rounds in it has a chance of dying shortly after increasing your chances of staying alive. Bear with some spray on it can just keep going increasing your chance of being dead.

You say you have no desire to own a hand gun (why, idk) but do you have a desire to increase your odds of staying alive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
Why is the shotgun not an option? Are you talking about countermeasures while archery hunting?

I won't debate the "stops them in their tracks" spray vs handgun. I think it depends on the source of the article/ information, and a ton of other factors. To quote an Alaskan that shoots a lot of bears "There’s just flat-out nothing that compares to a big rifle when it comes to stopping bears." Are you talking about countermeasures while archery hunting?

Downside to spray; wind. In the heat of the moment, if it's blowing back into you, you get it as much or more than the bear. Know how it reacts to different winds (cross, head, tail, etc). Have you ever been pepper sprayed? It's not pleasant. Compound that with a pissed off bear that you can't see because your eyes are now shut because of the spray... You get the idea. Also, from my playing around with these, they don't necessarily leave a cloud. They shoot a high concentration stream. I believe there are a couple that have different nozzle settings that may have a more "cloud" spray, but don't quote me on that.

Edit: I carry a handgun regardless if I'm rifle or bow hunting.

Last edited:

jhm2023

WKR
I can give you 2 reasons NOT to use spray. 1st: What will you do when the bear charges from upwind and that magic cloud of spray hits you and not the bear? This is a non-issue with a handgun. 2nd: Bear spray is only 1% oleoresin capsaicin. The stuff Law enforcement carries is 10% OC and during OC training most agencies require you to be sprayed and then perform certain tasks. I was able to wrestle a dude into handcuffs after my face was covered with 10% OC, so I'm definitely not going to trust it to save my life when something dangerous is in my bubble. It's really a matter of meet deadly force with deadly force, not non-lethal.

Spray might work given ideal conditions. An adequate handgun in the hands of a trained and proficient shooter will kill the bear, and dead bears don't eat people. To each their own though.

Attachments

• yukon bear.jpg
    yukon bear.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 271

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I don’t think a lot of guys have actually used good bear spray. It’s not a cloud of spray. It’s a jet stream of liquid that shoots 30 feet in front of you. Sure there is a cloud effect as well after the fact but it’s not like a smoke grenade in the movies lol.

I carry both the spray and a glock 10mm with 16 rounds of buffalo bore on my belt pouch for a mag dump if it gets onto me.

kiddogy

WKR
What are you using and why? I am going to use a spray as I have no desire to own a pistol. Plus in my mind, I think a spray would be easier to use leaving a large cloud for the bear to enter and the spray has been proven to stop an attacking bear in its tracks, it may not be foolproof but nor would a pistol be. With a pistol even if you were able to keep it together and hit an attacking bear he could still be on you. With the spray, if used right you should have at least a 5- foot cloud of spray the would have to pass through. Just my opinion and I am wondering what your thoughts are. If I had my way, I would be using a 12-gauge shot with buckshot.
a friend who moves slower then I do.😁

seriously though, IF a bear were attacking me , the spray coming from my posterior would very likely deter it.o_O

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I can give you 2 reasons NOT to use spray. 1st: What will you do when the bear charges from upwind and that magic cloud of spray hits you and not the bear? This is a non-issue with a handgun. 2nd: Bear spray is only 1% oleoresin capsaicin. The stuff Law enforcement carries is 10% OC and during OC training most agencies require you to be sprayed and then perform certain tasks. I was able to wrestle a dude into handcuffs after my face was covered with 10% OC, so I'm definitely not going to trust it to save my life when something dangerous is in my bubble. It's really a matter of meet deadly force with deadly force, not non-lethal.

Spray might work given ideal conditions. An adequate handgun in the hands of a trained and proficient shooter will kill the bear, and dead bears don't eat people. To each their own though.

Spot on. Heed this advice

Tyglick

FNG
100% pistol! Wind direction could screw the hunter. Just think if you had both spray and pistol sitting in front of you and a bear is charging. What would you grab? Gun for me. But the spray could work

mlgc20

WKR
I still occasionally carry my 45 when archery hunting. But, I mostly have moved to bear spray. If I’m honest about my capabilities with a handgun and a grizzly charging me, I seriously question my ability to do anything that would prevent that bear from tearing me to pieces. Maybe I hit him with a shot that kills him after he’s using my bones as a toothpick. But, that doesn’t do me any good. I also like having a non-lethal option for other situations like an aggressive stray dog or something like that. Either way, my 300 win mag will be my first line of defense.

jsb

FNG
Seriously. All these hunters unloading on bears this year has really made me wonder how it's even legal to carry a sidearm when archery hunting. You CHOSE to go sneaking around in griz country. The bear doesn't deserve a face full of lead because of YOUR highly questionable (common-sense wise) choices for recreation. Bring the spray and take responsibility for your choices. Spray has been proven very effective and it's non-lethal. You owe the bear that much respect when you choose to go tip toeing through its house.