Bear spray or pistol?

Deadfall

WKR
Not against pistols. Just relaying information from my experiences and observations. Answering the asked question as best my experience allows.

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
Seriously. All these hunters unloading on bears this year has really made me wonder how it's even legal to carry a sidearm when archery hunting. You CHOSE to go sneaking around in griz country. The bear doesn't deserve a face full of lead because of YOUR highly questionable (common-sense wise) choices for recreation. Bring the spray and take responsibility for your choices. Spray has been proven very effective and it's non-lethal. You owe the bear that much respect when you choose to go tip toeing through its house.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the one attack in the gravelly's this year, there were 2 guys who both had bear spray. While the one guy was getting attacked his partner emptied his whole bottle of bear spray at a very close range then the bear proceeded to attack the guy who just sprayed the bear. The guy who was just attacked then emptied his whole can of spray while the other guy was getting attacked before the bear finally left!

High Voltage

Lil-Rokslider
With the one attack in the gravelly's this year, there were 2 guys who both had bear spray. While the one guy was getting attacked his partner emptied his whole bottle of bear spray at a very close range then the bear proceeded to attack the guy who just sprayed the bear. The guy who was just attacked then emptied his whole can of spray while the other guy was getting attacked before the bear finally left!
I guess that was better than emptying their pistols on each other. 😂

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
I always laugh when i see people carry pepper spray around, bear get more agitated when sprayed and that's a dangerous thing. if you are not trained IMO don't approach a bear in any circumstances.

bsnedeker

WKR
I always laugh when i see people carry pepper spray around, bear get more agitated when sprayed and that's a dangerous thing. if you are not trained IMO don't approach a bear in any circumstances.

Well, I guess I would encourage you to do some research into the statistics behind the use of sprays vs. pistols. Bear spray has a significant statistical advantage when you look at real-world encounters.

I personally carry both. The spray is for any encounters where I have enough time to react, the pistol is for jump-encounters where I don't have time to think.

Stickbow

FNG
I dislike the author of this article but the article does provide some insight into the difference in the two most common studies people throw around in these conversations.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2401248/does-bear-spray-work

main point of interest to me was in the case study that says spray is 98% effective, the case with aggressive brown bear attacking a human and the human uses spray, 3 out of 16 were still attacked. So I dont really agree that its 98% effective.

I have a buddy who was pinned by a grizzly a few years ago. He unloaded a magazine of 10mm into the bear's belly and the bear took off. I know loads of people who have been bluff charged and nothing happened, no spray and no pistol used. So, again, my question is why choose? More options is always better, and really how hard is it to put one of each on the belt.

Only reason not to carry both is if you think the bear's right to kill you trumps your right to defend yourself.

kiddogy

WKR
I have a buddy who was pinned by a grizzly a few years ago. He unloaded a magazine of 10mm into the bear's belly and the bear took off. I know loads of people who have been bluff charged and nothing happened, no spray and no pistol used. So, again, my question is why choose? More options is always better, and really how hard is it to put one of each on the belt.

Only reason not to carry both is if you think the bear's right to kill you trumps your right to defend yourself.
yeah. wonder why JSB pushes carrying spray when he so clearly thinks man has no right being in the woods .

Whatever you are most comfortable with and have practiced with the most. Both options can take a bad situation and make them worse if you dont practice with it.

For me it depends on where I am hunting. Heavy bear country (Alaska, parts of Montana or Wyo) get both. Most times its the 629PD which I practice with all year long.

jt4

WKR
For those who carry both, how do you carry them both with a pack on?

When you look at something like the FHF harness it seems like you either have the option to have the bear spray or the holster. Not both without having a separate holster and shoulder straps under the harness.

Both. Spray as primary, pistol as backup and security from lions too when packing out. Revolver is nice with snake shot for mountain grouse too if legal in your state. If retrieving meat on multiple trips im always packing the pistol and not the bow or rifle

Twice as likely to be seriously injured if you shoot at a bear versus using spray. Source, USFW study of human-bear attacks since 1992.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I carried a 10mm or 329pd most of the time. A couple of years ago I shot a big bear in the face with my 10 at smell his breath range.

After re evaluation I now carry a g23 most often. I like the horsepower of the big rounds, but I know the .40 has plenty of bite, is more compact and likely to be ready, shot recovery time on a nasty pistol is much higher than the .40. (You guys who claim to shoot the g29 with hot stuff well have me scratching my head). Muzzle flash is typically less with the 40 than the big dogs too.....and if it's dark, that's a big deal.

I like the idea of spray, but I can't imagine having that ready to deploy during a hunt with a bow.....and that's when I'm likely to encounter a bear.

I think bear awareness is really the key. You're not likely going to walk up on a bear down wind. If you see a cub on your right and a sow on your left you're about to have a bad day regardless of what you are packing.

Think about food sources for bears as you are creeping around and have fun. The odds of needing to actually confront a bear are pretty low....so don't worry and just be aware.

Bear spray on hip holster on weak hand, across the chest strong arm holster with pistol is how I carry both in archery season in griz zone. SW 329pd / or 45. If rifle hunting, no pistol, spray in pack. If out of Griz zone no spray at all and only occasionally carry a j frame mp340 with 5 of .357 & 5 of CCI snake shot for birds, snake and small game. I don't fall into either camp over gun vrs. Spray. They both have their advantage .Best to decide what works best for user. But in Bozeman, its all about Cat vrs. Griz! Go Cats!!!!

Right now the wind is howling outside. It’s like that a lot here. And I’m sure many mountain areas. Spray is only gonna work in the right direction. Pistol will work any direction.

But having gone through basic training gas chamber scenario, spray is so disorienting. I can’t compare it to being shot since I’ve not been shot. But I would prefer to use the spray to disorient the bear. But, I’ll carry the pistol for times when the spray won’t work.

Again, this debate is a bit silly. Both have applications and it’s not hard to find a way to keep both on the belt.