Bear spray or pistol?

TheGDog

WKR
To the dude who tried to claim he could still function after getting face full of BearSpray... keep dreamin' buddy. Go back and re look-up your data. The 2% capsaicin in the BearSpray will burn like the Sun if it gets on you! Any isht they make to be used on people is substantially weaker man. Don't take my word for it, look it up.

I seldom take the Spray anymore, cause I've lent it to Mama since she's started participating in these group hikes as of late. G29 10mm on my chest all the time, under the bino harness.

The spray is really only a useful tool if the encounter is less intense and therefore gives you the time to draw it from the holster... and slip off the trigger safety blocker thing.

WARNING: If you have to spray it? IMMEDIATELY leave the area you were at as soon as you can safely do so. You may not feel much of any breeze... but if there is ANY whatsoever blowing back to you... no matter how faint it is... it WILL cause some of those droplets to waft back over and land on you! MAJOR NO BUENO!

I probably commented on this thread before. But why does it have to be one or the other? If I’m in Alaska or any griz country I carry both.

I probably commented on this thread before. But why does it have to be one or the other? If I’m in Alaska or any griz country I carry both.
Because we are a nation that must choose sides. It's all or nothing for my side and if you disagree (even just a tiny bit) you're an idiot liberal/conservative, gun grabber/gun nut, baby killer/woman hater, or even worse you must love Trump! We are not allowed nuanced decisions or to even understand both sides of a discussion. So choose your spray or pistol and never ever ever change your mind regardless of pesky things like 'facts'.

pparris3

FNG
Yep! I love/hate that you said this. I couldn't agree/disagree more. No nuance allowed!

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
Bear spray for the 4 legged animals and pistol for the 2 legged animals.
In my area we have too many meth heads in the middle of know where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WILLMCC

FNG
Is a 40 Cal S&W sufficient for Grizzly protection? I know a lot of folks carry a 10mm now, not a huge amount of difference. Would be nice to lighten the load a bit a 44 mag revolver gets pretty heavy after a few miles.....

KHNC

WKR
I am planning to take a .40 G23 with buffalo bore 155gr ammo. I rebarreled my G23 as well. Factory barrel has unsupported chamber in .40 cal.

yfarm

WKR
Shot my G20 w/ Lone Wolf 6” ported barrel this week with 40 S&W 180 gr jhp and Buffalo Bore 10mm 220 gr hardcast. Noticable difference in recoil. 900fps 370ft lbs vs 1200fps 703 ft lbs. Buffalo Bore cycled well, controllable.

TheGDog

WKR
Because we are a nation that must choose sides. It's all or nothing for my side and if you disagree (even just a tiny bit) you're an idiot liberal/conservative, gun grabber/gun nut, baby killer/woman hater, or even worse you must love Trump! We are not allowed nuanced decisions or to even understand both sides of a discussion. So choose your spray or pistol and never ever ever change your mind regardless of pesky things like 'facts'.
To piggy back on this note, whatTF is the deal with these weirdos that.. the moment you happen to mention a more conservative viewpoint or take on something... they rabidly respond back with some low-IQ trite "RAWR!!!"-themed TDS'er type of stmt?

And like... they STILL do that isht!!! Even NOW!? For one reason or another... I find that SOO incredibly bizarre.

And it's not even like they are referring to some policy choice or legislation enacted during his tenure either. It's invariably... always... just some dumb low-IQ attempt in their mind to equate your take on the scenario as being solely due to you supposedly, in their minds, blindly following what they perceive as Trump's agenda.
ThinkingForYourself.jpg

1javelin

FNG
I'm the type to get a little anxiety making me quiver a bit more than usual around high stress situations (hence the multiple Pope and Young whitetail deer I have sent arrows whizzing around while forgetting which pin I used or if I was even looking thru a peep sight). I have since done a lot of competition shooting and put myself in situations to help mitigate that, while forcing myself to think. But, I'm not trusting myself to grab a handgun and get it on target and hit what I'm aiming at without putting a bullet in my leg Cheddar Bob style first. So, bear spray it will be for me. Hopefully his crap doesn't smell like pepper when I'm dead...

Jarl Varg

FNG
Pros and cons to all options. A friend of a friend used bear spray which he got some on himself and it gave him bad burns. Pistol you have to stay calm and efficient. If you carry both then you have to make sure you don‘t hesitate on deciding which one to use. Ive heard some of the biologists will carry bear spray and a shotgun.

Estiva

FNG
YES!
Is a 40 Cal S&W sufficient for Grizzly protection? I know a lot of folks carry a 10mm now, not a huge amount of difference. Would be nice to lighten the load a bit a 44 mag revolver gets pretty heavy after a few miles.....
After much research, the prevaling opinion is that a 10MM is the minimum caliber for Grizzly. Personally, I'd rather have a 10MM with 15+1 capacity than a kicking .44 mag with 6 shots. There are many variables: 1. accuracy 2. response time 3. capacity 4. type of ammunition. There is a BIG difference between a 10MM and .40 S&W.

Estiva

FNG
What are you using and why? I am going to use a spray as I have no desire to own a pistol. Plus in my mind, I think a spray would be easier to use leaving a large cloud for the bear to enter and the spray has been proven to stop an attacking bear in its tracks, it may not be foolproof but nor would a pistol be. With a pistol even if you were able to keep it together and hit an attacking bear he could still be on you. With the spray, if used right you should have at least a 5- foot cloud of spray the would have to pass through. Just my opinion and I am wondering what your thoughts are. If I had my way, I would be using a 12-gauge shot with buckshot.
I agree with most of your thoughts, however, remember that bear spray can be affected by wind. And, if you are downwind, it can come back and be debilitating. Short of a shotgun or high-powered rifle, which can be clumsy to carry, I would recommend 10MM caliber or higher.