Bearpaw Wildernes Designs??

Anyone have any experience with Bearpaw Wilderness Designs? I have been looking for an AFFORDABLE tipi/pyramid style tent. I am between the Bearpaw Luna4 and an Oware 9x9. Both the same exept the Bearpaw has a top vent which may be very important.

stephen b

WKR
The fella that runs BWD is great to work with. But to compare- I do not have any experience with Oware, so can't comment on them.

The BWD nest that I have is very well made ( only product that I have from them). Just last weekend my wife and I stayed in the 2 person Pyranet under a golite SL5 and it worked great and was made. I think you can't go wrong with their stuff.

Mountain Laural Designs is another very good company. Actually there a number on these cottage light weight shelter makers that make really good gear. Tigoat is one that is also fantastic both in product and service. And of course Kifaru is another that makes great gear. I have their packs, but not shelters from them as of yet.

swat8888

WKR
X2 on BWD having great customer service, they will customize as we'll...just ask or email your ideas.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a custom cut Oware tarp that I have used. Nothing wrong with it, but then again it is just a tarp.

I had em build me a nest for my sangria-la 5. I am happy with their service and quality seems good but I haven't really used it. I also buy all my odds and ends from BWD for guy outs and other specialty tent stuff.

OP
H
Thanks for the replys. I think for the $ I might give them a try. I know there are many good ones out there there but they are not affordable.

bbrown

WKR
I have used the Oware 9' x 9' pyramid tent for the past 3 years and it has served me very well. Very light (22oz), huge for one person and plenty for big for 2.
Recently, I have been trying to get my wife in to backpacking and one requirement for her is a nest with a floor for bugs and such. So I stumbled upon BPWD and they are conviently located in my same home town. I have not ordered a nest yet (ran out of the summer) but in talking with John he has been very helpful and even offered some insight to help me figure out what size, door shape and materials would work best for me. I do plan on ordering a nest in the next couple months from John and BPWD.

IMG_0585.jpg

bbrown

WKR
Another picture from my elk hunt that I just got back from - it snowed and was very windy yet the tent did great. One thing is you definitly need to guy it out or it can be noisy/flappy in strong winds.

IMG_0584.jpg
pencil.png

Mike7

WKR
I have been testing out a Luna 4 over the summer and during this hunting season...and overall it has been great. I am planning on writing a review on here, but wanted to finish testing with use in cold weather and with my stove. In short though I think you have more options with the Bearpaw tents...at least options that I care about. Message me with any questions Hammer0419, as he has various options available with respect to mosquito netting, zippers, stove jack placement, etc.

OP
H
Thanks Mike. I am defiantely going the Luna 4 route due to the amount of options available. I do plan on using it this winter but do not have a stove at this time. Figured I can get the stove jack installed for future purchase?

-Jim

I was looking into the Luna 2 or a Mountain Laurel Duomid. Have any of you guys used the Luna 2 ? I haven't come across much info on it . Plenty of solid reviews on the Duomid though. Thanks

OP
H
I never did get one...yet. I have been using my mountainsmith floorless. I do plan on still getting a Luna 4 or a golite Shangri LA 5. The VERY small weight difference between the two and four...... I would no doubt opt for the extra space of the Luna 4.

Rucker61

WKR
I never did get one...yet. I have been using my mountainsmith floorless. I do plan on still getting a Luna 4 or a golite Shangri LA 5. The VERY small weight difference between the two and four...... I would no doubt opt for the extra space of the Luna 4.

I sold my SL5 and went with the Luna 5. It's a castle.

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking into the Luna 2 or a Mountain Laurel Duomid. Have any of you guys used the Luna 2 ? I haven't come across much info on it . Plenty of solid reviews on the Duomid though. Thanks

I can't speak to the Luna 2, but I like my Duomid. I spent around 20 nights in it last year in a lot of weather. It worked well. Mine weighs 1.5 lbs. with stakes, guy lines, and stuff sack.

Hammer. Your right about the weight difference being VERY minor between the 2 and 4 although the size of the luna 2 seems perfect for my uses. Still have heard of little reviews on this shelter.

Mike7

WKR
I have a Luna 4 and did a review on it on this site. It is a great 2-3 person shelter with or without hunting gear and stove.

One thing to consider between the Luna 4 and Luna 2 as far as total carry wt goes is the wt of all of the stakes, guylines, and perimeter netting needed for a shelter with a larger circumference. My Luna 4 trail wt with stuff sack, guylines, my 3/4 ounce DIY pole connecter, MSR Groundhogs x's 4 I believe, mini-Groundhogs x's 7 I believe, 18" of perimeter netting, large Bearpaw Stove boot for 3-4" stove pipes, and copious seam grip to all of the seams is all together 2 lbs 15 ounces. I used it solo last year, but am thinking about something a little smaller for upcoming solo trips outside of winter, while keeping the Luna 4 for winter camping and for elk hunting with my hunting partner.

Apparently John at Bearpaw will do inbetween sizes. I am a little torn, but for me I think a Luna 2 would probably be a little too small if I have to lower the sides most of the way to the ground in a bad storm or if I want to use it for ultralight summer trips with my wife & dogs. My next shelter will thus likely be a Luna 3 in Cuben from Bearpaw and without a stove boot, but with 18-24" of perimeter mosquito netting...that will be an ultralight bug proof shelter for spring through fall which is just big enough for two with hunting gear and great for one guy with gear while still being very light.