Bears at elevation.

bobinmi

WKR
Forgive what might be a real stupid question. I've never hunted bears out west. I'm doing an elk hunt in September in CO. It looks like I'm going to be above 10k for the majority of the hunt. With the reduction in the price for a Non-Resident bear tag I'm planning on picking one of those up as well. Do black bears hang out that high or will I be flushing money down the toilet. Either way bears won't be the primary target I just don't want to bump into one and be bummed that I don't have a tag.

cmahoney

WKR
I generally see bears and bear sign lower here in the Sierras. They like to use the creeks as highways. I never see them or their sign above the tree line. Sounds like Colorado has a similar problem with them like we do so I’m guessing the department of wildlife would point you in the right direction. Dumpsters are a good place to find them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can be up that high but it's more of a question of habitat at 10k that your hunting in more than pure elevation. Thick timber, water, food and overall terrain all play a key roll.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Very generally, bbear start high, working the slides as they green up, then move down to the cooler, darker, greener areas (creek bottoms, road ditches, swampy areas etc.) as summer progresses. Sept/Oct they're looking to pile on food, so food sources are also where they will be: berries, etc.

All depends on if the cost is high or low enough to you if the opportunity arises.

Poser

WKR
I’ve lived in CO for 3 years and spent a lot of time in the high country between June and Oct Mtn biking and hunting. I’ve yet to see one up there. Most commonly they are in scrub oak elevation which tends to be lower.

Wrench

WKR
It doesn't help that they need to eat 24/7 and are black as a solar panel. Not the greatest combo for hanging out in the rocks.....but it can happen.

brsnow

WKR
Also never know if the elk will be up either. each year is different

FlyGuy

WKR
The one and only time that I spiked-out solo in CO at 10600 I returned to my shelter well after dark and pushed a bear out that was working up the nerve to make a go for my food bag I’d left inside...

You can’t cheat the mountain

swampokie

WKR
The vast majority will be lower in oak brush unless a severe drought sets in Then they will be in town or in high aspen pockets

I saw 4 bears between 9 and 10k last September. I wasn't hunting for them of course. They seemed to really like the dark forest just above the scrub oaks early in the am.

OP
B

bobinmi

WKR
This is why I love this site. Thanks for all the info guys. I figure I'll pick up the tag. My first elk trip to CO anyway. Im hoping for the best l, but my expectation is simply a nice donation to the state parks and wildlife either way.

Lytro

WKR
I ran into a couple above 10K in 2017 while elk hunting over Labor Day weekend. Needless to say, my bear tag wasn’t valid until the following weekend. Here’s one of them I got within 40 yards of while he was eating wild flowers. It never even saw me during the 10 minutes I was watching and taking pictures. 4EEBA476-74A2-491A-B925-A94E45D6A2FF.jpeg

I see them on blueberries above tree line in BC but never saw one above tree line in 35 seasons elk, deer and some sheep and goat hunts in CO. Doesn’t mean they can’t be there but it is not ideal habitat. I saw most of them from 7,000’ to 10,000’ with more on the lower side. Good luck on your hunt!

RyanS

FNG
This was in central Colorado at about 12,000 ft. The treeline is about 200 ft above this. This year will be my first time hunting bears in Colorado so I'm no expert but I have had a lot of them on my cams over the years from 9k-12k ft. Research where you're hunting to see what types of plants bears are eating
Screenshot_20190717-095654_Video Player.jpg

I was in the southern part of Colorado last year September at about 9-10k and saw bear sign all over on the ridges immediately away from creeks..... however I noticed at like 12k a bunch of extremely green avalanche chutes which from what I read is the money spots if the grass is good and of course if there is at least a little water there...... I would go high to the chutes for a couple days and then make my way back down by way of drainages

Poser

WKR
This was in central Colorado at about 12,000 ft. The treeline is about 200 ft above this. This year will be my first time hunting bears in Colorado so I'm no expert but I have had a lot of them on my cams over the years from 9k-12k ft. Research where you're hunting to see what types of plants bears are eating
View attachment 110308

Those seem like really tall tree for 12,000 feet.