Bears only moving one direction

I've been slowly trying to piece together a small pocket that has lots of bears but also lots of hikers, campers etc so they know how to play the game quite well. One dried up creek in particular sees a lot of action, always tracks or scat when I check it and I have a trail cam up that's gotten good bears moving on it at all times of day. One thing I can't figure out for the life of me is why they seem to only move one way along this creek bed. Every bear the camera has caught and every track I've ever seen there has been moving south to north. The road parallels a spur road that often sees rec users ripping up and down it (none of them really get off the road though) and the creek is only 20-30 yards through thick brush behind it. About 40 yards past the trail cam there's a beaver dam just before where the creek would meet the river, I've seen tracks hopping up onto the logs there and not too sure where they go after that. There is a campsite that seems to attract the loudest hootin & hollerin campers around right beside that beaver dam, not the most likely place for bears to hang out but I've been all over that mountain and the most concentrated sign is right there, maybe they like going there to clean up after the citiots. Curious if anybody has any insight into why they would only be moving in one direction on that creek though . There's grass on the other end that they've been hitting and I guess they take a different path to get to it, will have to try and figure that out with another camera. No the wind doesn't only come from one direction in that creek, possible they only use that travel corridor when it's a consistent north to south wind maybe? Would be nice if cameras had a wind meter. There's an elk trail that goes to the river, they go there in the fall when the salmon are running but haven't seen any sign from them there in the spring. Hopefully some bear experts out there are up for helping me play CSI or someone else has noticed the same thing and put the pieces together, otherwise I'll keep plugging away with the cams and rookie tracking skills. map.jpg

I can't really help you out with the "why" the bears are only traveling one direction in your area, but I have seen the same thing in the places I hunt year after year. Pictures on trail cams of bears always passing left to right, or vice versa. I finally decided that it didn't matter why, because I already had the info I needed for a successful hunt. Knowing which direction bears approach from, coupled with the prevailing wind direction and an approximate time of day is all you need to get your tag punched.

OP
BackcountryBloodline
I can't really help you out with the "why" the bears are only traveling one direction in your area, but I have seen the same thing in the places I hunt year after year. Pictures on trail cams of bears always passing left to right, or vice versa. I finally decided that it didn't matter why, because I already had the info I needed for a successful hunt. Knowing which direction bears approach from, coupled with the prevailing wind direction and an approximate time of day is all you need to get your tag punched.

Appreciate the info, glad to know someone else is experiencing the same phenomena at least. I do know it's not a critical thing to understand, realistically none of the info I've gathered about the area is really critical and I could just drive back and forth down the logging roads and punch my tag that way...I've become rather obsessive about this tiny pocket though, there are plenty of better hunting areas but this has been a bit of a long term project that will hopefully pay off year after year once I get a better grasp on what the heck is going on down there lol. If I ever crack the case I'll be sure to fill you in!

Wrench

WKR
Bears follow their nose. It either thermals or the wind that's causing them to do it. They want to eat, but they want to stay alive a little bit more.

Appreciate the info, glad to know someone else is experiencing the same phenomena at least. I do know it's not a critical thing to understand, realistically none of the info I've gathered about the area is really critical and I could just drive back and forth down the logging roads and punch my tag that way...I've become rather obsessive about this tiny pocket though, there are plenty of better hunting areas but this has been a bit of a long term project that will hopefully pay off year after year once I get a better grasp on what the heck is going on down there lol. If I ever crack the case I'll be sure to fill you in!
Yah, definitely let us know if you figure it out. Most of the time when that happens in my hunting areas, the bears are walking into the prevailing wind. I could assume that part of it. Maybe you found a pack of cooler - robbing bears!

OP
BackcountryBloodline
I assumed it was most likely a wind thing but the wind goes the other direction just as often. Considered putting a strip of flagging tape up as a wind meter but would probably get a lot of false triggers from it. Took this weekend off and checking another area next weekend but I'll be back up the weekend after, thankfully we get a 2.5 month spring bear season here...no dedicated archery season though so that's the trade off I guess.