Beartooth 80 and other pack capacities?

Going with the “buy once cry once” on a new pack for future elk trips and backpacking adventures. Realistically how much does the MR beartooth 80 hold or other size packs? For example does 80 hold roughly 4-5 days of gear, 60 hold 1-3 days etc? Is it better to add on pieces to a 60 if you need to carry extra, or to have more space and possibly leave an 80 half full on a shorter trip? Thanks!

I'll assume this is a base camp style backpacking adventure setup.

I have the MR Beartooth. Large with enough room for all of my early to mid season setups. I am currently running a 2p tent with mummy bag sleep setup. If I went with a more compressible tent/bag combo, I could run the Beartooth year-round.

The only thing that significantly changes when adding multiple days for me is food. I took the beartooth on a 6 day late september trip, and I could have easily fit another 2-3 days of food.

I like a sawtooth sized pack for 1-2 days. Around 50 liters.

Depending on how you pack, an 80 liter pack shines 3-5 days IMO. You could use it for shorter trips and it will carry fine with only 50-60 liters of gear though.

Figure out what you are going to do must often. Short trips = smaller pack and add stuff to carry more. Long trips = bigger pack.

OP
T
I was thinking about going with the beartooth and down the road adding the mule or Pintler and swapping the bags out for 1-2 day trips. Think this is a good idea?

^^^^that's a great idea. I could easily do 10 days out of the beartooth. Its possibly their best yet. It's the first bag ive used also that CONVENIENTLY compresses down to a functional day pack without being to strappy and cumbersome. Beartooth/pintler combo would be hard to top.

OP
T
Dumb question but does anyone have any issues hunting with the solid brown pack... they don’t have any camp available in the model that I see

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Dumb question but does anyone have any issues hunting with the solid brown pack... they don’t have any camp available in the model that I see
I have the brown. Don’t think it is an issue. If you think it will be I have heard that they may do this pack in camo for 2020

I say go brown. I expect my pack to last longer than my choice of camo. If you really need camo, you can get a 3-5 oz camo cover pretty cheap and get added rain protection as well.

jake_1993

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone had any issues with the 330d material used on the Beartooth 80 pack body?

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
80l can do 5-7 days depending on temps. I have the Marshall and 10 days of food and gear and tent with room to spare.

A lot of packs use the 330D I think stone glaicier and Kuiu both use that thickness of materials. My friend has the kuiu pack and he put a small hole in bottom from rubbing on sharp rocks. Just have to be careful. The good thing is it’s lighter

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t had any issues with the Beartooth material, does pretty well with stains also. Coming up on a year now of having it. I use it as a day pack all the time because it’s able to cinch down really nice, especially with the web keepers. Been using it to train with recently.
image.jpgimage.jpg

jake_1993

Lil-Rokslider
80l can do 5-7 days depending on temps. I have the Marshall and 10 days of food and gear and tent with room to spare.

A lot of packs use the 330D I think stone glaicier and Kuiu both use that thickness of materials. My friend has the kuiu pack and he put a small hole in bottom from rubbing on sharp rocks. Just have to be careful. The good thing is it’s lighter
Thanks for the reply. I’ve noticed a lot of packs use it myself that’s why I wasn’t super concerned. I’m normally pretty cautious with my gear so hopefully no issues.

jake_1993

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t had any issues with the Beartooth material, does pretty well with stains also. Coming up on a year now of having it. I use it as a day pack all the time because it’s able to cinch down really nice, especially with the web keepers. Been using it to train with recently.
View attachment 176405View attachment 176406
That’s great. Looks like it really packs down well. That was one of the things I couldn’t find a lot of information on when I was researching. The pictures really help. Does the 330d they use feel cheap by any means or no? I’ve never had a pack in that material. My previous ones were 500d.

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I had a mystery ranch terra frame I think it was called with 330d. It doesn’t feel cheap but it’s more flexible. The 500d is stiffer for sure. What about the metcalf?

i think some of the beartooth's listed capacity is in the removable lid too. So for a day trip can always pop the lid off and cinch it down.

jake_1993

Lil-Rokslider
I had a mystery ranch terra frame I think it was called with 330d. It doesn’t feel cheap but it’s more flexible. The 500d is stiffer for sure. What about the metcalf?
Gotcha, yes considered the Metcalf, but really like the accessibility of the Beartooth. Extra room is nice too. Wondering if the durability of the 500d is worth going with the Metcalf.

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
The material does not feel cheap at all, the whole pack itself really feels quality, I don’t have any snags or rips in the material and I’ve taken in through the brush, used it as a back rest against trees and rocks. My good friend has the metcalf, but the beartooth has some features I prefer, such as the interior pockets. You can also use it as a top loader if that’s something you prefer. I don’t really notice much different in feel of material between the two packs either.

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
How many nights are you planning. You could just go all the way with the Marshall and you are covered? I went with a Marshall and a bag only pintler. I use the pintler for all day hunts or a overnighter. The Marshall for long pack trips

The Metcalf has very great reviews can be a great day trip and up to 5 days I would say

if you are really worried about the 330d just go with one with the 500d and you will not second guess your decision

dyllanmurray

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Sawtooth and the Beartooth bag only option. I took the Sawtooth backcountry archery hunting for 4 days this September before I had the Beartooth bag only, and needless to say, I would have only stayed 2 nights max if we didn't have horses. Sawtooth is amazing for day hunts and maybe an overnighter. The Beartooth is super slick for multi-day hunts. However, I have gone to just running the Beartooth for day hunts since it compresses down so nicely.