Beartooth vs Marshall

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all

I own a MR Marshall and a pintler. Just wondering how people are liking there beartooth. I’m looking at getting the new frame and might go with the beartooth. I will be using it for day hunts and weekend hunts also a full 7-8 day trip. Has anyone used the bag on a 7 day backcountry hunt and if so was it tight to fit all the gear? I have the Marshall but at times I find it a bit large

thanks

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
I just made the switch Black Friday. New frame is better for sure. Bag is fine for a few days for sure. Probably will be ok for a week, but I’m not selling the Marshall just in case.

Traindriver

Lil-Rokslider
Okay so it’s a year later, what’s your thoughts now?

I have both, bought the Marshall for a 10day annual hunt. I’ve still never used it because everything fits in/on the Beartooth. I want to put it to use… but I never need all the room apparently?

do you guys feel the same?

I prefer the marshall over the beartooth. I like to stuff everything in a pack. I appreciate the idea behind the beartooth, but it’s not my kinda pack. I went from a marshall to a beartooth and now I want to go back……first, I need to offload my BT80 and a ST45.

I prefer the marshal design (top loader with exterior pockets) but never filled mine up. The beartooth is good but it is a bit floppy up top IMO. If I used my beartooth more i would be sorely tempted to swap it for a terraplane 80.

Mirxivus

FNG
I prefer the marshall over the beartooth. I like to stuff everything in a pack. I appreciate the idea behind the beartooth, but it’s not my kinda pack. I went from a marshall to a beartooth and now I want to go back……first, I need to offload my BT80 and a ST45.
What specifically about the BT makes you want to go back to the Marshall? Also curious about how well the Marshall compresses for shorter day-excursions when you've unloaded some stuff at camp.

I don’t care for zippers. I like to be able to stuff everything in the pack. As far as compressing it down, I would put the divider between the sleeping bag compartment and the main bag and put on my goods and compress with the side straps. I generally didn’t use my lid like this and it worked well for me.

Ingo

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer the marshal design (top loader with exterior pockets) but never filled mine up. The beartooth is good but it is a bit floppy up top IMO. If I used my beartooth more i would be sorely tempted to swap it for a terraplane 80.

I am looking at a Terraplane 80. Haven't seen much feedback on it.

What is better about it than the BT80 besides the price?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I am looking at a Terraplane 80. Haven't seen much feedback on it.

What is better about it than the BT80 besides the price?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
So I eneded up buying a Terraframe 80. By the time I sold the frame and my beartooth, I broke even.

in terms of function, they are the same frames, just the hiking pack frames are grey. The terraplane is basically the Metcalf with two long vertical pockets on the outside. my primary non hunting packs have been versions of this pack configuration for a looooong time - including three versions of mystery ranch Dana designs + a north face pack - and I developed a liking for having external pockets for things like rain gear and other stuff that you may need quickly and don’t want to dig for.

The beartooth is a panel loader - lay it flat on the frame and open it like a suitcase - and the terraplane is a top loader. My packing system favors top loaders but again it is more out of habit and preference than anything else. The only mild performance comment is that my beartooth tended to flop at the top when not fully loaded.

both are great packs And would play that big hauler role well for longer trips.