Beating Cancer and Chasing Elk

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
You might have watched the day-by-day version of this hunt on our YouTube channel, but now the fully edited and highly polished Amazon version is available.

This is a story about our dear friend, Beau Baty, fighting cancer in the winter of 2019. We were so excited when he drew his Wyoming elk tag and made plans to film him. He called shortly thereafter and told me the diagnosis. I called off filming the hunt, not wanting to add any further burden to Beau. He asked if we could keep it on the calendar, as he wanted to have a bright light at the end of the tunnel.

He was in really rough shape by May. I was far more worried about his longevity than I was anything about elk hunting. We talked frequently. It was hard to watch him and his family struggle through this. Yet, knowing Beau as I do, when he promised he would win this race, I was not going to doubt him.

By July, he was doing better and waiting for final tests to see if it was gone. In August, he got the "all clear" sign. He was committed to this elk hunt in Wyoming, having spent six points to draw the tag. I was still worried, knowing how far down his health had spiraled. But, if you know Beau, he loves being in the wild with his llamas, rifle in hand and tag in pocket.

In the end, I am thankful Beau decided to have this filmed. The story is remarkable. It shows the character of a remarkable man. It serves as a reminder of how fickle health can be. And, it provides inspiration that we should live life as full as our health allows.

Thanks Beau. We appreciation your friendship and your inspiration. Thankful to see your smiling face and hear your laughing voice.

If you want to watch it in the highest possible viewing quality, Amazon Prime is your ticket. Link here - https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B086L2SVLL/ref=atv_un_tp6_c_OcGi58_brws_3_1

YouTube link below.

Laramie

WKR
Good stuff and adds perspective at a time like we are living in. Live to the fullest of your abilities while you can.

Prayers for Beau. He’s a very good guy. I had the pleasure of spending a couple of days with him and his family at their farm. Salt of the earth. Hopefully this can be behind him.

wseidel

WKR
Tremendous experience made even more complete with Beau's gratitude and thankfulness for being alive and well. God has given each of us so many blessings in life to be thankful for - faith, family, freedom, friends, food, health, homes....and, yes, even, llamas! Every time I am out whether hunting or just hiking, I make it a point to express my thanks - what a gift.

I appreciate you sharing your adventure with us, Beau. God bless you and your family.

CL&RR

FNG
Cancer definitely put things into perspective. When I found out I had cancer in early 2018 all I was worried about was if I could beat it in time to go hunting in the fall. Was in remission by October and started hitting the high country with sore and achy joints from chemo, but it was a relief.

IMO, the horror of a prolonged illness that robs me of choice, dignity and self-determination is a fate worse than death Seen too many loves ones go that way, machine assisted, machine dependent, someone had to pull the plug. A horrible situation for everyone. I'd rather be killed by a grizzly or die from some other similar cause than with a hose crammed up my butt and pass with a wimper. Not the way I wanna be remembered. I wanna die like a man. Anyone facing a life threatening illness that chooses to return to the backcountry is like-minded. I take my hat off. This is an inspirational story. RESPECT!

Last edited:

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
it was an awesome episode! So many of us take our health for granted. I was watching the episode and literally cheered when he squeezed the trigger on that great bull. A very inspiring episode

it was an awesome episode! So many of us take our health for granted. I was watching the episode and literally cheered when he squeezed the trigger on that great bull. A very inspiring episode
Yeah, this story was special for sure. Thanks for sharing Randy!