Beating target panic

Cdneville

FNG
I thought I would share on how I beat target panic. To help anyone else that might be going through it I’ve noticed people have different problems with “target panic”. I bring my pin down and I was at the point where I couldn’t bring my pin down no matter what I would have to swing it and I would immediately punch the trigger. The first thing I did was make a make shift string and grip and I started using a back tension. All releases are made to be part of your follow through and I really took the time to get to know the release and how to make it a “surprise”and not a command I did that for two weeks never fired an arrow in those 2 weeks. Also during those 2 weeks I would go out set my target about 5 yards away with an arrow nocked and draw back and just let that pin float in the middle of the dot and let the bow down don’t shoot it!! I would hold that pin there till it was floating out of the middle and did that 20 times a day. Next I did blank bale maybe 2 or 3 days just to transition that feel from my makeshift bow string to my actual bow. After that start out shooting 7 yards away about 50 arrows till you really are just confident there. Then move back 2 yards at a time and don’t skip and just set at 20 yards. That’s how I beat it I know its a long read but figured it could help somebody. There’s also some good podcast on eastmeetswest and Brady Miller from go hunt also has a good article on it.

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
How to beat target panic should be its whole section, where guys give tips on how they are dealing/dealt with it. I personally know more guys with target panic then guys without it. I also know more guys that wont acknowledge it.

I dealt with target panic for a while and listed to Joel Turner, parts of it helped me and parts made it worse. Being able to let down the bow if your feeling that panic creep in was the biggest thing I took away from Joel Turner. The whole mantra thing made things worse for me, but each their own.

Levi Morgan talked about pulling back with an arrow and just letting your pin sit on the bullseye and then letting down. The OP mentioned this as well. This was my turning point for me and after doing this for a week, everything changed from there and target panic was beaten for me.

I think there is a lot of different forms and degrees of target panic out there. I have found if your punching the trigger, this is usually target panic. My opinion

first step is to admit you have a problem..... lol

OP
C

Cdneville

FNG
Right. You pretty much have to rewrite your shot process in your head.