Beaver Tail Handle

Anybody ever used a beaver tail for a handle? I have a couple in my freezer, and I'm wondering if I need to tan the tail or just use it like a rawhide?

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes, very fragile leather. Holes would easily rip out when laced on my stickbows. I went away from it years ago.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
The leather I used was tanned. maybe rawhide would work better if you know how to prepare it. looks cool with the scales which is why I tried it put gave up. If you can get some kangaroo it is incredible strong and stretches in to place.

OP
C
The leather I used was tanned. maybe rawhide would work better if you know how to prepare it. looks cool with the scales which is why I tried it put gave up. If you can get some kangaroo it is incredible strong and stretches in to place.
I think I'll give it a try. I think rawhide would just be fleshed and probably cleaned real well with dish soap to degrease. It sounds like it doesn't stretch real well from other digging I did. I guess if I don't like it I can always take it off. I got a longbow that is too heavy, and has a handle delaminating so I'll probably drop weight/re-tiller/rework and put it on that. I have two tails so if I don't like the rawhide I can tan one and try it.

Thanks

Abe Penner of Caribow bows in Manitoba has used Beaver Tails on the grips on a lot if not most of his bows. Looks great and a certain degree of function. It's not skateboard tape but it does provide a nice surface.

I have a couple in the freezer I need to try as well. I figured I'd try the rawhide method first and see how that goes. Still hoping to get a selfbow to stay in one piece and use the beaver tail on that.