Bedding action

Wrench

WKR
I use devcon 10110. If doing one rifle you'll waste about 40 bux worth.....just use JB.

Devcon sets faster and is easier to work with and has a lower shrink rate....but it's not worth it for one gun. Mix the JB before you go to bed and pop it in the morning.

Is this the Devcon I want?

So I only have 1 rifle to bed and this is way more than I need I assume. I can get Arcaglas Gel, JB or Marine Tex in smaller less expensive quantities. Is Devcon worth it?

You can order the plunger tubes of devcon 10110 from amazon if local hardware stores don’t carry it. One store around me does carry the plunger tubes.

Wrench

WKR
I've never seen any volume under 1#. Be aware that devcon makes about a zillion epoxies, and they're not all the same. You want devcon steel. (10110)

Wrench

WKR
You can order the plunger tubes of devcon 10110 from amazon if local hardware stores don’t carry it. One store around me does carry the plunger tubes.

That's the stuff and a good price. I'd ask about the use by date.

Fishmaster196

Lil-Rokslider
Acraglas Gell worked great for the one rifle I have done myself. I just did the lug and tang on a Model 70 300 WSM and a HS stock.

OP
MuleyFever
Since I only need to do one gun I ordered 2oz of the Marine Tex. Lots of people seem to like it.

Wrench

WKR
What is good for cleaning the stock up before putting the epoxy down?

Clean it with dawn dish soap and water, hit it with 36 to 80 grit to scuff it up for adhesion, blow it off and rock on.

You can use anything to cut the oil and dirt....but dawn works great and it's cheap and easy to get rid of.

OP
MuleyFever
OK, one last question. Maybe. Specific to the Montana stock which has pillars installed. Do I want the action to contact the pillars? I know most people skim bed a Kimber and I assume it is because they want the action to contact the pillars and the epoxy to just fill in any slop. Also, to bed the recoil lug. Is my thinking correct? Minimal epoxy to keep action on pillars? Fill recoil lug recess?

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Nathan Forester is a great resource for bedding practices. Highly recommend from a procedural perspective. Had great success doing a front/back bedding job on a troublesome Ruger 77 in a Boyd's laminate stock.

OXN939

WKR
Post up the best video you have seen showing how to skim bed an action.

I am thinking of doing my Kimber Montana. Any input welcome. I am completely new to this. As in this is the first time a have even taken the stock off a rifle. Help me 😳.

For anyone reading this now, I can't recommend Marine Tex Grey and Kiwi boot polish highly enough. I've tried a few and there is no other way. It is cheaper than the kits you buy, and does a better job. All I've ever had to do is bed the recoil lug, about an inch of barrel, and a bit of the tang to see good results.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200710-180418_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200710-180418_Gallery.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 30