Bedliner paint jobs

Hey guys have any of you done a paint job with bedliner on your hunting rigs? I’m thinking about doing it since my kids decided to scratch up the paint on my ‘06 F-150 with a rock and I can hardly stand to look at my truck now but I don’t know that I want to go all in on a paint job. Seems like the benefits on a truck I plan on driving til the wheels fall off will definitely outweigh the drawbacks. Anyway I’ve been looking at the durabak roll on bedliner, anybody have experience with that particular brand? Thinking about doing their forest green color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
I have no experience with that brand, however I would stay away from herculiner.

Wrench

WKR
I did hurculiner on my jeep tub 20 years ago...today for a diy, I'd do raptor and use the spray gun for at least the final coat. Be 1000% sure you do bare metal prep before you cover as you'll never see the cancer happening.

Roy68

WKR
Echo what Wrench said. I’ve used raptor on a couple of beds. Also on a few stock trailers I’ve rebuilt with good success

dubllung4

FNG
x3 for Raptor. So easy to spray and looks great. I've done a couple trucks and a boat interior and been happy with all of them. As with anything - prep is key.

X4 on Raptor liner, you can get it tintable and make it any color you want. I usually topcoat it with a couple coats of clear, YouTube body guy recommended it for a little extra protection (UV maybe?) so that’s what I’ve been doing with it, seems to hold up well on everything Ive done with it.

Whitty

FNG
I bought a used truck topper (color doesn't match) that I plan to spray with Raptor liner this weekend...we'll see how it goes. Plenty of good feedback on this product for the UV protection = doesn't fade.

tciprick

FNG
I did this one my 2009 f150. Somehow moisture or water got in between the liner and the body in some areas and I ended up with rusted out fenders in a little over a year. Although this is up in Northern Alberta, brand new trucks will rust in a year if you don't take care of them.

I did this one my 2009 f150. Somehow moisture or water got in between the liner and the body in some areas and I ended up with rusted out fenders in a little over a year. Although this is up in Northern Alberta, brand new trucks will rust in a year if you don't take care of them.
Its very likely it was coming from the back side already. Most of the typical areas vehicles rust these days start from inside and rust through, by the time it surfaces there isn't much to be done about it, and honestly I haven't seen much that can be done about it prior to it happening. If you ever cut a bed side or set of rockers out to replace them you see what a losing battle it is.

tciprick

FNG
Its very likely it was coming from the back side already. Most of the typical areas vehicles rust these days start from inside and rust through, by the time it surfaces there isn't much to be done about it, and honestly I haven't seen much that can be done about it prior to it happening. If you ever cut a bed side or set of rockers out to replace them you see what a losing battle it is.
It's very probable. I honestly did not check. I picked up the truck from Southern BC and just assumed it should be clean enough and rust free haha. Oh well live and learn.

TSAMP

WKR
I did the durabak in my boat. I think mine was OD or forest but was closer to teenage mutant ninja turtle green. Luckily it faded quickly and with dirt/foot traffic it got darker.

I did the textured liner and it's impossible to clean. Fairly rough on your knees but it does accomplish a no slip surface.

Attachments

• 20190406_160248.jpg
    20190406_160248.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 20210627_142155.jpg
    20210627_142155.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 81

AKG

FNG

I just finished sanding, grinding, and cleaning up an old steel utility trailer and the running boards off my truck. I'm now waiting for a day with the right weather and time for finishing with chassis saver with a black monstaliner topcoat. If it goes well I'm looking at monstaliner WTF color for the truck which has some pinhead sized rust spots showing up.

tdot

WKR
I've seen a couple Sprinter vans locally that have had Line-X Ultra sprayed onto them. It is a formulation that is specific for coating vehicles. It is a very impressive finish, significantly lighter then dedicated Bedliner material. If I don't receive my new van soon (ordered it 16 months ago) I will be using this product on my van.

TonyG

FNG
Im running into issues with my new Duramax and paint chips. Looked into the bedliner paint idea.

Was recommended looking into wrapping it instead. Looks a little better in my opinion and the price tag wasn’t to bad.

Full size truck runs about $4,500

I did hurculiner on my jeep tub 20 years ago...today for a diy, I'd do raptor and use the spray gun for at least the final coat. Be 1000% sure you do bare metal prep before you cover as you'll never see the cancer happening.

Raptor is good stuff. My buddy did the frames of all his dedicated snowplow trucks with raptor.
Hurc was "cool" when it came out, but its not super durable

Im running into issues with my new Duramax and paint chips. Looked into the bedliner paint idea.

Was recommended looking into wrapping it instead. Looks a little better in my opinion and the price tag wasn’t to bad.

Full size truck runs about $4,500

Yeah I bought my truck new 7 years ago and I definitely should have wrapped it right off the factory floor. Because 7 years later I would have just pulled off the wrap and the truck would be brand new again

Whitty

FNG
Sprayed my topper with Raptor and it turned out fantastic! Time will tell as it's only been a week but really impressed so far.

AKG

FNG
Trailer project turned out good so I rolled right into the truck which will be done once I get some replacement fender mounting clips and drill and tap some broken bolts.

Attachments

• KIMG0422.JPG
    KIMG0422.JPG
    400.1 KB · Views: 49
OP
Andrew12gauge
Did my truck in durabak today, I’ll post some pics in the next couple days. Fairly simple, broke some ccr’s and did it in my driveway. Prep took a couple of evenings, taping windows and door handles took all day, but that was with 3 kids running around and destroying my house while I tried to get it done. Once the prep was done it only took about 3 hrs total to apply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk