Bedside gun storage

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
If I may share MY experience and view about this ? >
I STRONGLY believe in removing the TABOO of certain things. I was constantly around firearms, hunters and archery equipment growing up (and maybe most of you were too?) My boys are 12 and 14yrs old now and I have ALWAYS raised them that IF they EVER wanted to see OR handle ANY of the firearms at home, I would ALWAYS oblige at ANY time. We go through a Safety Checks, questions they have, handling / functioning and we wipe the guns down before putting them back in the safe. (They also know the routine of what is OFF LIMITS if any friends of theirs come over to our home OR if they are around a firearm away from home). I don't leave weapons around the house irresponsibly BUT, I do have some in certain areas that are "readily accessible in case of emergency". I'd be interested in your views. opinions and thoughts on the subject. :unsure::cool:

I felt the same way as this poster. I taught my kids to know how to use a gun as well as take and pass hunter safety. My son was an excellent shot and could hit a 2.5” steel plate at 500 yards. He was safe with a firearm when hunting. However, kids brains aren’t fully developed until about about age 25 and they make rash decisions. In May 2020, I watched in horror as my 15 year old son took his life 38 yards in front of me. Let me tell you, no amount of thinking you’re removing stigma of knowing about guns helps when a child’s mind isn’t in the right place. I’d give anything to go back to that day and wish I could have prevented what happened that night. That night will FOREVER be with me as well as the sounds and the images. Lock your guns up. This is coming from a guy that been around guns all his life and loves the shooting sports.

Austink47

WKR
I’m in the same boat as you. I bought a vaultek and it’s been perfect. Fits my G19 with TL1 and an extra mag. Bonus it’s the best pistol travel case I’ve used as well.
Edit to say I have the lifepod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the exact same set up on my nightstand and it works great. Never had to use it for real, but have gotten lots of practice grabbing it to go chase coyotes away from the chicken coop. Works great.

Flgrizzy

Lil-Rokslider
I APOLOGIZE TO THE OP for this taking a turn away from the original topic... BUT, THIS SEEMS TO BE A NEEDED CONVERSATION ** (Maybe I / we should open up a Specific chat for this ??) ***
vonb .... I'm SO SORRY to hear about your tragedy. I have MANY relatives and friends that took their lives by suicide. That is a different animal / mindset.
I'm not going to dive into "what if's" and or even attempt to cover EVERY possible scenario. I WILL say that as a Trained Professional (NOT just firearms) - IF someone WANTS to take their life, they WILL find a way and do it BY ANY MEANS and opportunity - no matter what or who TRIES to intervene (SADLY). That is a VERY SAD mental condition / depressive state. Once again I am ALL FOR SELF ACCOUNTABILITY and RESPONSABILITY. I DO NOT leave firearms and such carelessly thrown around my house or ANY other place around me, my kids OR their friends in MY house.
** AGAIN - I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS ** Even though it has happened within my Family (relatives) and friends, I CAN'T imagine losing a child by accident or not.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I felt the same way as this poster. I taught my kids to know how to use a gun as well as take and pass hunter safety. My son was an excellent shot and could hit a 2.5” steel plate at 500 yards. He was safe with a firearm when hunting. However, kids brains aren’t fully developed until about about age 25 and they make rash decisions. In May 2020, I watched in horror as my 15 year old son took his life 38 yards in front of me. Let me tell you, no amount of thinking you’re removing stigma of knowing about guns helps when a child’s mind isn’t in the right place. I’d give anything to go back to that day and wish I could have prevented what happened that night. That night will FOREVER be with me as well as the sounds and the images. Lock your guns up. This is coming from a guy that been around guns all his life and loves the shooting sports.
Thank you for having the courage to share. I can’t imagine the pain you have felt.

jrfred

FNG
Classified Approved
I’m the 15 years I’ve owned my biometric it hasn’t failed me.
Fascinating. In the 15 years I have had my gun vault speedvault biometric, (and also the one I bought for my mother), neither one has opened on the first try ever, these products are so bad and unreliable it actually makes me want to rant inappropriately. It’s not like it’s a faulty printer cartridge, we were talking about access to your firearm! If a bad guy ever broke into either of our houses, with a 2 minute warning, both my mother and I would have been dead 9 out of 10 times trying to access the gun. They have been that bad, in fact tonight after trying literally 20 times, for the first time ever it just will not open, have to go to my safe and get the key. I need to figure out if there is a reliable biometric out there, if not will go with the keypad. And interestingly, the gun vault micro vault that I bought for my son’s mother, that thing has been money, don’t touch it for years, cover with dust, opens on both her and my fingerprint first time every time, it has a different type of reader, you swipe rather than place your finger statically.