Bedside/nightstand holster

ofl0926

WKR
Evening everyone. So with my daughter growing up, her curiosity is out the roof. My wife spoke to me that I should try to put my carry pistol in the closet where she can’t reach. I told her I didn’t like that idea cause it’s not practical. I told I would look into bed options. So what options do you guys have? I’m thinking maybe biometric is the best option with my print and the wife’s. I can secure it when in get into bed. I won’t to worry about when it’s just sitting in my nightstand and she is playing around.
Just so everyone knows 2 going on 3 in December. I do plan, when she is old enough to understand, firearms safety and respect.
So if you guys have ideas and suggestions, I’m all ears. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think real hard about safety.

I ultimately decided to move my handguns to the big safe when my kids weren’t much older than yours. You don’t just have to worry about them, you have to worry about their friends at some point that will be in the house when you aren’t there.

Fort Knox is the way to go. FTK PB. Mechanical instead of biometrics. Less of a failure rate than electronic locks. Sturdy and heavy. Bolt it to something in your closet and cover it with something that conceals what it is.

I also have a gunvault version. Not bad, but it is electronic and I could pry it with a screwdriver.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Think real hard about safety.

I ultimately decided to move my handguns to the big safe when my kids weren’t much older than yours. You don’t just have to worry about them, you have to worry about their friends at some point that will be in the house when you aren’t there.

Fort Knox is the way to go. FTK PB. Mechanical instead of biometrics. Less of a failure rate than electronic locks. Sturdy and heavy. Bolt it to something in your closet and cover it with something that conceals what it is.

I also have a gunvault version. Not bad, but it is electronic and I could pry it with a screwdriver.

I have a Fort Knox gun safe with a mechanical combo. All my guns are stored in there. I’m just trying to find a way to keep my concealed carry close to me for that “possible” situation.

I have a Fort Knox gun safe with a mechanical combo. All my guns are stored in there. I’m just trying to find a way to keep my concealed carry close to me for that “possible” situation.

Yeah. To clarify, I started with a lockable, bedside pistol vault. The gunvault brand version with an electronic finger code. Had battery issues and it was a pretty weak lock set up that could have been defeated easily with a little bit of prying. I upgraded to Fort Knox ftk pb Simplex. I ultimately decided to remove everything to the big safe for an extra measure of precaution. Matter of personal preference.

If you are set on a small pistol vault I suggest fort knox. This guy...

Each person will decide on their own "system" - I just wanted to tell a story … I was a career fire-medic, early in my career we had an early morning call on a "shooting", found a home (county deputy's) where the wife watched several others' kids - one of the watched kids found a handgun "poorly" secured somewhere in the bed area, picked it up and shot the deputy's child center mass - 40 years later I'm still haunted by that morning …. whatever style you choose make it one that works

*zap*

WKR
No way anyone should have a loaded gun within the reach of children that are unable to understand that it is deadly. Gun on night stand....very quiet intruder is now armed. Personally I think the greatest threat when we are inside our homes is going to be answering the door.

No way anyone should have a loaded gun within the reach of children that are unable to understand that it is deadly. Gun on night stand....very quiet intruder is now armed. Personally I think the greatest threat when we are inside our homes is going to be answering the door.
VERY WELL SAID !!

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR

You are absolutely right. The gun is currently nowhere near arms reach of my daughter or even visible to her.
I’m looking for a secure option to keep it close. I’m a fire/medic as well and leave early in the morning. Safety is my number 1 priority and I’m looking at options. I don’t want to be caught we my pants down during a home invasion which do happen.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Each person will decide on their own "system" - I just wanted to tell a story … I was a career fire-medic, early in my career we had an early morning call on a "shooting", found a home (county deputy's) where the wife watched several others' kids - one of the watched kids found a handgun "poorly" secured somewhere in the bed area, picked it up and shot the deputy's child center mass - 40 years later I'm still haunted by that morning …. whatever style you choose make it one that works

Sad story for sure. My current concealed is out of sight and out of reach from my daughter right now.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Yeah. To clarify, I started with a lockable, bedside pistol vault. The gunvault brand version with an electronic finger code. Had battery issues and it was a pretty weak lock set up that could have been defeated easily with a little bit of prying. I upgraded to Fort Knox ftk pb Simplex. I ultimately decided to remove everything to the big safe for an extra measure of precaution. Matter of personal preference.

If you are set on a small pistol vault I suggest fort knox. This guy...

That’s an option. My gun safe is in the garage and my bedroom is upstairs. Probably main reason why I want something secure and safe next to me.

You are absolutely right. The gun is currently nowhere near arms reach of my daughter or even visible to her.
I’m looking for a secure option to keep it close. I’m a fire/medic as well and leave early in the morning. Safety is my number 1 priority and I’m looking at options. I don’t want to be caught we my pants down during a home invasion which do happen.

obviously, my kids are grown, don't have the grandkids over all that much - I lean a pump SG muzzle down in the corner on my side, bolt open, beartooth shell holder with 3 reduced recoil buckshot on the buttstock, a fairly complicated move for the unpracticed to put into battery

Gorp2007

WKR
Fort Knox mechanical pistol safe for me with a two kids under 5 and another on the way. I also keep the Glock's chamber empty but the mag loaded. I figure I've already sacrificed instant access, so I appreciate the peace of mind of knowing that racking the slide is easy for me and tough for my kid.

I picked up a GunVault MicroVault off of Amazon for this exact reason. My daughter is 18 months and loves opening up any drawer she can. I decided to go with the MicroVault because I didn't want the biometrics, I think anyone who has ever had a finger print unlock phone would agree that they aren't 100% reliable. I also like that I can set the finger combo from 3 - 9 presses. So far I've been very happy with it.

Mike 338

WKR
"The closet so she can't get to it"... and people wonder why their kid just shot themselves in the face. If you got a kid anywhere in the house, even if it isn't yours and just visiting, you gun needs to be secured. Was it that long ago when were kids that we can't remember how we got into things we knew we shouldn't? They make things/bedside safes now that you can get into in a second or two, that can be delivered to your doorstep that you ordered while wearing pajamas, all at a fraction of the cost of a new suit that you gott'a get for your kids funeral.

When I was a kid, I had a knuckle head "friend" point his dad's rifle at me and pull the trigger. Apparently his dad talked to him about guns too cause he was told it wasn't loaded. Yeahhhh, might wanna secure your guns. The problem with seeing the problem before it happens is that you'll never know what misery you avoided cause you did something to avoid it.

Three years old... that kid has probably already climbed to the top of the closet.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
"The closet so she can't get to it"... and people wonder why their kid just shot themselves in the face. If you got a kid anywhere in the house, even if it isn't yours and just visiting, you gun needs to be secured. Was it that long ago when were kids that we can't remember how we got into things we knew we shouldn't? They make things/bedside safes now that you can get into in a second or two, that can be delivered to your doorstep that you ordered while wearing pajamas, all at a fraction of the cost of a new suit that you gott'a get for your kids funeral.

When I was a kid, I had a knuckle head "friend" point his dad's rifle at me and pull the trigger. Apparently his dad talked to him about guns too cause he was told it wasn't loaded. Yeahhhh, might wanna secure your guns. The problem with seeing the problem before it happens is that you'll never know what misery you avoided cause you did something to avoid it.

Three years old... that kid has probably already climbed to the top of the closet.

I appreciate your input and That’s the point of this thread, to see what ppl are using and suggestions. My gun and all guns are secure as we speak.

Mike, thank you for the rant, it made me think about my "system", I'm going to make it more secure asap
Often we need one another to remind one another to think deeper …… see the BIG picture

Savage99

WKR
If it’s not on your person or “locked up”, you don’t have control of it. Sounds like you are on the right track. I haven’t ventured into the electronic locks of any kind. I built a shelf/locking_cabinet/nightstand for the side of the bed.

We don’t have a dog, so I hope my wife wakes up if there is ever trouble. Heavy sleeper.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
If it’s not on your person or “locked up”, you don’t have control of it. Sounds like you are on the right track. I haven’t ventured into the electronic locks of any kind. I built a shelf/locking_cabinet/nightstand for the side of the bed.

We don’t have a dog, so I hope my wife wakes up if there is ever trouble. Heavy sleeper.

Truthfully speaking, my two dogs are my first line of defense. I’m a light sleeper but my shepherd is an even lighter sleeper