Been a long time...

Hoot

WKR
I've fired less than 10 rifle rounds since I left Iraq, Jan 2006. Part of me thought I'd never pick one up again. Two years ago I got the big game bug again while driving through Wyoming on my way to visit family in Idaho. I picked up a bow, and went elk hunting 2012 and 2013, and haven't been this passionate about hunting big game since before my military career. Although I will probably always prefer to hunt archery, I'm starting to flirt with the idea of picking up a rifle again.
My main goal would be a rifle that would have good resale value should I decide it's not for me. I would possibly use this rifle for mule deer, elk, sheep, or goats, maybe moose, probably not bears. I like good quality stuff, and although I'm most familiar with a .308 Remington action, topped with a leupold mark 4, I don't want to hump around a 12+ pound rifle while hunting, but I don't think I'd be satisfied with a regular sporter rifle either...

I saw on the "post your rifle" thread the DE sheep hunters, and my interest is piqued, so here I am asking for advice/opinions. I've also seen the christiensen arms carbon custom, what else is out there?

Broz

WKR
I stay clear away from carbon wraps myself. Resale on any custom, or factory for that matter will not be profitable. However some hold values better than others for sure. I doubt you can find anyone that is not happy with a DE rifle. Every one I have seen, owned or shot has done its job and done it well. I recommend you buy a DE rifle and also look into taking their classes offered once it is done. You will leave with a rifle you have confidence in and know what you and it as a team it are capable of. If you decide later to sell, there will be buyer for DE rifles. But I am guessing you will hang on to it.

Jeff

Ps: Let me add welcome back and Thank You for your Service to our country. We appreciate the sacrifices you, and others like you make for us.

Last edited:
First off thank you for your service to our country. Welcome back to the hunting scene. There are a lot of rifles that would work for you but a couple that I really think are terrific are the Winchester Model 70 and the Sako 85. Ruger also builds a rock solid rifle. My son has a Winchester Extreme weather SS in 300 WSM with a Zeiss Conquest scope on it that sure is a fantastic rifle. It also would handily take care of the animals on your list. Nothing wrong with either a 30-06 or a 280 Remington for what you have described. Not sure if you are into single shots or not, but I really like the Ruger #1B. I own two of them. Good luck with your choice.
David

Broz

WKR
Hoot, you posted this in the long range forum so I assumed you were considering some long range shots. Just to be clear, my answer was pertaining to good solid long range rifles with high percentage of good bullet placement at distance.

jeff

Broz makes a good point. There is definitely a gap between a rifle set up for deliberately shooting long and a rifle that is a "jack of all trades".

Lots of choices out there. I would recommend you handle as many as possible before deciding on one. Resale value is very subjective with high end rifles, but there is an ass for every seat:) If you want a custom, be prepared to wait for it. I was at Shawn's shop (Defensive Edge) a couple of weeks ago. Bob has a 40-something rifle list he is building on. If you wanted a Sheep Hunter, or a Stalker (which closes the gap better for distance and close in work), you could have a 12-14 month wait.

A lot of guys on this forum like Tikkas. I don't own one, but I have handled and shot them. They are pretty nice for a factory gun, and there are some aftermarket improvements that can be made.

OP
Hoot

Hoot

WKR
Thanks guys, I like the idea of a de sheep hunter or similar platform. Something I could play with at longer ranges with the intention of keeping shots below 500 in a hunting scenario.