Been applying for many years in several states with zero luck in draws. Anyone been trying?

Laramie

WKR
Have never put in for goat or sheep - just don't have any interest at all.

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm putting in for draws here in MT but only because it's cheap. I'm not getting sucked into that game!

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
How many is many years? Personally been 20 years for me in CO for goat and sheep and moose.....no tag yet. In the other states I apply for its only been 7-12 years, with no real expectation to draw for at least another 7 or more.

For me, anything under 13 points in any state is simply not going to happen. Yes there are a select few who get lucky, but really I think the magic number is around 20 years give or take for most states.....for prime tags double that for a realistic expectation.

Mt Al

WKR
You can't win if you don't play. I've been putting in in MT since they started adding points, even before that. I have max points on goat and moose, obviously haven't drawn yet, and fortunately drew a sheep tag five years ago. Admittedly I only do this because I'm a resident and it doesn't cost much.

OP
L

luv2huntelk

Lil-Rokslider
How many is many years? Personally been 20 years for me in CO for goat and sheep and moose.....no tag yet. In the other states I apply for its only been 7-12 years, with no real expectation to draw for at least another 7 or more.

For me, anything under 13 points in any state is simply not going to happen. Yes there are a select few who get lucky, but really I think the magic number is around 20 years give or take for most states.....for prime tags double that for a realistic expectation.
I maxed out on points for M/S/G and still sit in <10% chance. Horizon looking worse with the expected applications next year and beyond. Utah, Montana seem only to get more distant as each year passes, not closer.

Wapiti1

WKR
It is what it is. I pay to play and one of these days I'll get to play. I've got MSG points in most states and figure in another 5-10 I'll pull a tag or two. I can't take it with me when I die, so might as well fund the programs that help manage the game I love.

Jeremy

cbeard64

WKR
I’m one of the lucky ones. Applying for 20 years in several states and I’ve drawn 3 OIL tags (WY moose and mountain goat, AZ desert sheep). I’m on house money at this point.

I’m 56 and should hopefully draw a few more before I’m to old to chase them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Have never put in for goat or sheep - just don't have any interest at all.

I had no interest at all in moose, sheep, or goat until after I started bowhunting. And then they became more interesting to me. I didn't apply for goat this year because I didn't want that tag messing with my elk hunt.......and then the DOW screwed that up and gave me a moose tag. Not many archery goat seasons in CO that don't screw up elk season, and hunting above timberline in Oct isn't my idea of fun.

Axlrod

WKR
I have put in 44 years (well my dad took care of the first 10) for sheep and goat in MT so far...
But I did find $26 in cash in the Walmart parking lot last week, so I have that going for me!

33 years to draw a Mountain Goat tag. Never got a goat. Hunted and scouted really hard. Only saw one goat the whole time. Populations took a nose dive. Still had a great summer and fall doing this! Loved it.

42 years in a row now for Moose and Bighorn Sheep. Have not yet draw! These are Montana tags I applied for.

Not sure now on Bison but I have put in EVERY Year since they started having tags for bison. No luck yet. I also buy a few of the Super Tag chances ever season hopefully to increase my odds of drawing but that hasn't happened either.

myself, i've been playing the utah once-in-a-lifetime tag lottery for mtn goat. so far i'm 10 years in. spend enough time ridge running and peak scrambling around my local mountain ranges, often in mtn goat habitat, that i have developed a very robust desire to move across such rugged mountainous terrain in pursuit of them.

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
I got lucky about 8 years ago and drew a MT goat tag with 3 points. The unit I drew had more tags than my whole state which I've been applying in for almost 20 years. Ended up seeing a ton of goats and sheep in the unit and took a nice billy on day 3 of my hunt.