been to Iceland ?

handwerk

WKR
My wife and I leave in a week to spend 9 days hiking/camping, so I'm looking for input/places to see from any sliders who have visited this interesting country.
thanks

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I lived there three years. It's an awesome place, especially if you enjoy fishing. Incredible waterfalls, and the largest glacier in Europe. The interior/highlands aren't all that interesting, but the perimeter of the island following the Ring Road all the way around has some great sites. If you rent a vehicle, get a diesel. Diesel is MUCH cheaper........1/3 the cost of gas 15 years ago. Every part of the island is different......NE is barren like the moon, South and SE is green like Ireland, parts are like Yellowstone with geysers and mud pots. Incredible place..........I could live there again. But I also fished almost every single day I was there........even through snow storms.:cool: Lowest stress place I've ever been.

Almost everybody speaks English there except when you get inland a ways away from populations. Sheep everywhere........more sheep than people......do NOT hit one, and don't speed.......anywhere on the island. They absolutely enforce it, and they seem to pop up everywhere even in the middle of nowhere.

Almost the entire island is de-forested. There's a joke there that if you get lost in the forest, you just stand up and you'll see where you are. The water is so pure there, you can drink out of the rivers.

Attachments

• Rimg0005 (15).jpg
    Rimg0005 (15).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Rimg0002 (15).jpg
    Rimg0002 (15).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Rimg0022 (3).jpg
    Rimg0022 (3).jpg
    85 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

WKR
Really interested in your trip report. I have wanted to do this trip for a few years now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is Mrs. Elk Hunter From Hell and just returned from Iceland and Norway. Both countries are amazing. We stayed in Reykjavik for 4 days and didn't see everything we wanted to. We did a couple tours. One was an Icelandic Horse trek with Laxness Farms and I highly recommend. Golden Circle tour and an all day Southern Circle tour with Iceland Horizon. Small group tour with an amazing guide. Would have liked to have done some hiking but family was not interested. One item I wish we had done was hit a hot pool at a farm. The Blue Lagoon wasn't for us but a pool at one of the farms sounded relaxing but didn't fit in our time frame. One tip would be to pickup any wine, beer or liquor at duty free before leaving airport. Everything is expensive there since they are an island so we mostly hit the grocery store and made our meals. No matter what you chose to do it will be an amazing adventure. Have fun! Thanks Rosss for the trip, you can hunt all you want this fall 😎

My wife is unable to go to AK with me at the end of this summer. Her condition for "letting" me go w/out her is that I take her to Iceland next spring. I really really want to go seal hunting. Looking forward to your trip report.