Beer keg bait site?

Ok I have settled on the beer keg for a bait container because of the distance I will have to pack in. I have searched and searched for lid ideas and cant find any. I am going to do paw size hole on side but I need a pic of what the lid should look like or do I just refill through side hole!? First time baiting for me so this is all new!

Thanks for any help!

WJS23

WKR
I would just use one if the 35 gallon plastic drums, it will probably be half the weight of the keg.

Terrapin

WKR
We used to use the 30 gallon barrels. Most of the lube shops got their motor oil in them.

If you are far enough in that barrel weight is a concern, you are really going to get tired of the daily 50 pound pack of bait going into an active bait :).

We gave up on barrels because they are fugly and just started making cribs out of logs with a hole dug in the apex. By the end of the season the bears have the hole pretty well dug into the hillside. It’s not so obvious to passerby people, shows tracks better, and it’s easier to direct the bear for a proper angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Justin.Medcalf
We used to use the 30 gallon barrels. Most of the lube shops got their motor oil in them.

If you are far enough in that barrel weight is a concern, you are really going to get tired of the daily 50 pound pack of bait going into an active bait :).

We gave up on barrels because they are fugly and just started making cribs out of logs with a hole dug in the apex. By the end of the season the bears have the hole pretty well dug into the hillside. It’s not so obvious to passerby people, shows tracks better, and it’s easier to direct the bear for a proper angle.

I will be re baiting once a week and i can only use metal or a certain size hole dug. I was going keg to try and extend the bait.

skierhs

WKR
I will be re baiting once a week and i can only use metal or a certain size hole dug. I was going keg to try and extend the bait.
I’d have to imagine a shovel and handsaw/hatchet will be much lighter to carry in. We used to run 55 gallon drums in Idaho but had such success by using a hole with logs covering it that we’re sticking with that. The only perk is to keep some of the bait dry if it’s raining a lot.

skierhs

WKR
We just lay them ontop of each other. We make a sort of cubby and get some larger logs to cover the entrance. That way we they have to get the grease/attractants all over their paws and drag it through the woods once it gets on their paws. It also lets us set up for the bears to have to face a certain direction when they want to eat.

JLH208

WKR
I was also trying to figure out a good keg design. I have yet to come up with anything to plug the hole but we were going to stick with dog food and make a few small holes, and hope that the bears had to roll it around to get bait out. We ended up just investing in better pack frames and will continue to use 55 gallon drums. I’ll keep thinking in the keg, if I come up with anything I’ll post it

VernAK

WKR
I have used beer kegs for years. They don't hold piles of bait but the grizzlies can't destroy em either. Grizzlies can flatten many 55 drums.

My buddy cut a paw hole in the side....no lid required. I shot a 45 hole through the top and fastened a large eye bolt for chaining to a tree. I fill it with dog food or whatever and add sticky stuff to make some bait stick to inside of keg. After filling, I stand on end with a stick in the hole to keep squirrels out.

In the past I've used oats drenched in fry grease but the spilled oats attract too many birds that activate my trail camera.

OP
Justin.Medcalf
I have used beer kegs for years. They don't hold piles of bait but the grizzlies can't destroy em either. Grizzlies can flatten many 55 drums.

My buddy cut a paw hole in the side....no lid required. I shot a 45 hole through the top and fastened a large eye bolt for chaining to a tree. I fill it with dog food or whatever and add sticky stuff to make some bait stick to inside of keg. After filling, I stand on end with a stick in the hole to keep squirrels out.

In the past I've used oats drenched in fry grease but the spilled oats attract too many birds that activate my trail camera.
Thanks Vern,
I am thinking of doing the same thing. Small hole in side and eye bolt in top to attach to tree. I am going with molasses and husks and dog food. I will be running two sites so we will see how that works out.