Beetle killed tree areas and forest burns

bobhunts

WKR
How many of you actually concentrate on these areas? I kinda wonder as while talking to someone I used to archery hunt with ten years ago said he would never go back to the spot we hunted due to all of the beetle kill! Just too ugly! I say a few years later there will be tons of feed and it might be a blessing to us hunters. I've seen pics on this site and others where the elk and deer that people have shot where in burn/bettle kill areas. I know that the fringe areas of a fire often produce alot of feed for the game but am wondering how many people stay away from the beetle kill areas? I will be looking into this in September while hunting.Bob.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hunting areas like that just comes with the cycles that forests go through. Elk and deer are still there.

sk1

WKR
the beetle kill areas i have hunted are thick and very hard to walk through quietly with lots of the dead twigs and branches on the ground....not a live pine in sight, but i still see elk in there

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I hunt burns ... a lot. I have had a lot of success in the burns. I love 'em. Beetle killed areas end up being burns sooner or later.

sk1

WKR
I hunt burns ... a lot. I have had a lot of success in the burns. I love 'em. Beetle killed areas end up being burns sooner or later.

aint that the truth my whole area i hunt just finished burning, and it was mostly beetle kill area :( hopefully it didn't burn too bad so the hunting will be great in the next year or two