Before I go messing with stuff….

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Let me run this by you experts. In this picture there are 3 fixed blade broadheads and 3 fp. That’s 2” tape and I’m checking left to right at 50 yards. Would y’all call that good and adjust the sight? I probably can’t shoot any better than that. Those arrows are basically grouped within 3” but right of the centerline. I think I know the answer but I wanted a second opinion and there’s a lot of knowledge on this board.
Thanks,
Ryan

Attachments

• IMG_8037.jpeg
    IMG_8037.jpeg
    374.9 KB · Views: 121

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
Any wind? Are they consistently off to the right group after group? When I get to that point I’ll usually shoot a few days in a row before moving my sight just so I know it’s not me. It’ll only take a very small move on your sight to get you back to center.

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Very little wind and I put a string on a stick at 20 yards so I can shoot between gusts.

And yes, they are consistently to the right.

Thanks for your help!

sndmn11

WKR

I'd figure out what is wrong with the arrow/broadhead/shooter for the high one by shooting it obsessively after spinning.

With bh/fp mixed it is tuned as well as you can shoot it seems.

Assuming this is repeatable.
I'd find the tools at a shop AND the person who knows how to use them, to address 1st/2nd/3rd axis. If those are fine, it's repeatable with the sun at all angles into your peep, then if move the sight.

I do find that left/right misses are usually not centering the housing in the peep and the direction of the light can monkey with that perception easily.

It's common for broad heads to group different than field points since the center of the broad head weight is not at the same place as a field point. I'd adjust the sight for hunting season, and let your field points be off a bit.
This. Unless your broadheads are hitting dramatically different from your fp’s or they are flying sporadic, adjust your freaking sight….it’s go time.

Last edited:
OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Except for the one flyer that missed high, that's a pretty good group for 50 yds IMO. If you're consistently grouping right, adjust your sight to put the group behind the pin.

Also, number each individual arrow to help identify any that consistently hit outside the group. If you do find a repeat flyer, check it on an arrow spinner. If there's no visible wobble, try nock tuning to bring it into the group.

It's common for broad heads to group different than field points since the center of the broad head weight is not at the same place as a field point. I'd adjust the sight for hunting season, and let your field points be off a bit.
I agree that broadheads and field points grouping differently is a fairly common occurrence, but it's not due to the miniscule difference in weight distribution. If both groups are tight but the groups are landing at different spots, the bow is simply out of tune. If field points are grouping tight but broadheads are not, the arrow may be underspined or may not have enough fletching to adequately steer the broadhead.

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
Very little wind and I put a string on a stick at 20 yards so I can shoot between gusts.

And yes, they are consistently to the right.

Thanks for your help!

Easy fix then, just slide your sight over to the right a little. Chase your arrows for sight adjustments. I’m doubting it will move your 20 yard group, but after you get dialed at 50. Shoot a group at 20 to verify you are still on there. Also keep an eye on that high flyer BH. Hopefully it was just a form/shot issue. Otherwise your group looks good to me.

Matt G.

WKR
I would probably shoot that high one again an too verify. If it repeats I would probably put on another arrow to verify. Looking at your other arrows, the group looks that is your current ability. If you find your bh to the right of your fp, I would move the rest toward your fp a smidgen. This is where the microtune rests are nice.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
“I'd find the tools at a shop AND the person who knows how to use them, to address 1st/2nd/3rd axis.“

That‘s a unicorn around here. Sounds like you do your own. Do you have any experience with this https://www.octobermountainproducts...ro-shop-tools-and-supplies/axis-sight-leveler

I‘ll have to find out tomorrow if it’s the shooter or the arrow on that high one.
Thanks

That's an interesting tool! I'd give it a try.

I say you should do this first because it should be done regardless, and is a plausible explanation for your issue. If the sight isn't level it could present as being a few inches off at distance.

You might also go out and find your arrows are back to center. I wouldn't adjust the sight until you know through repeating that impact, it needs adjustment.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot that 8" high one again. If it hits similarly, I'd swap that head to another arrow to see if it does the same thing. Are you "on" L/R at say...20 and this deviation to the right is when you stretch out to 50? Or are you to the right at 20 as well?

Sizthediz

WKR
Can't answer without knowing what arrow is what. 1 click of the rest at 50 might put them in the bulls eye. Just did this today and although it was a pain in the azz it was definitely rewarding. By the way bareshafts SUCK

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Also, don't be afraid to tweak things. Before you go changing things like your rest position, take pictures of the alignment both vertically and horizontally. If things get worse, simply move it back to where your alignment marks are in the pictures.

MattB

WKR
Can't answer without knowing what arrow is what. 1 click of the rest at 50 might put them in the bulls eye. Just did this today and although it was a pain in the azz it was definitely rewarding. By the way bareshafts SUCK
Looking at the picture, from left to right - FP, BH, FP, BH, FP and the one high was a BH. BH’s leave blade marks in the target and FP’s don’t.