Before i pull the trigger on a tent

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
Im looking for a tent for september elk hunt i have read it can snow mid septermber in idaho. I cant really afford the $300 and up tents out there. Anyone have any luck with some of the cheaper end tents when they were snowed on? Some of them dont look like they would hold up to the weight of snow.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I have an MSR hubba hubba NX2, typically pretty well liked tent. Shoot me a dm if interested.

OP
Matt mi

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
I have looked at those and alps have u had any experience with luxe?

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
The big Agnes black tail is very much like the copper spot just a bit heavier. Still backed by a great company

mlgc20

WKR
The big Agnes black tail is very much like the copper spot just a bit heavier. Still backed by a great company
The Black Tail is a great option. Also the Tumble by Big Agnes would work well. Some great deals on used Copper Spurs show up here from time to time. There are other great tent brands out there. But, I pretty much stick to Big Agnes. Never been disappointed. I’ve even had my Fly Creek Platinum UL in some substantial snow without an issue. That tent is made with some pretty thin materials. But, still holds up.

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Marmot Tungsten 2P that I have a lot of faith in, even after a number of years.

Good advice here - I’ve got three BA tents and love em. Check out expert voice to see if you can get the pro deal they offer.

OP
Matt mi

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
The marmot looks pretty big could i get away with a 1 person for myself and gear? I was thinking 2 person. Has snow ever come under the rain fly?

Don’t know about Marmot but my BA 1 person is solid with the vestibule (I can leave my pack and boots under that). I’m 6’3”, 200+ lbs. A vestibule is real nice in bad weather.

OP
Matt mi

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
I see that most of the inner tents are mostly mesh screen some are more open then others is there any difference how well they keep heat in?

keller

WKR
i have the alps extreme 2.havnt used it in snow but i think it would be fine. also depends if your backpacking or truck camping.i also have cabelas guide tent very heavy but have been in some weather with that.
good luck

nastynick

FNG
It seems like there is a lot of varying opinions on Luxe. I and my brother took our Mini Peaks to Idaho this past year and had terrible weather, rain and 20s in September and they Luxe did their job. I’ve had their trekking poles too and also had no problem with either shipping or customer service. Maybe it depends. But they’ve been good to deal with and reasonable prices.

Attachments

• 0DC96033-79C2-4FEE-B221-6256D6037E02.jpeg
    0DC96033-79C2-4FEE-B221-6256D6037E02.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 42
The marmot looks pretty big could i get away with a 1 person for myself and gear? I was thinking 2 person. Has snow ever come under the rain fly?
I would Stick with 2 person if it were me! Can get tight in a 1 man

reaper

WKR
Yeah i Say Luxe...i had one from them with stove jack and it was pretty good,cheap fabric but if you're good on gear it make the job.
253c646ff4086166bec12b91544a755f.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk