begginers bugle

im heading on my first elk hunt this fall and looking for a bugle thats pretty easy to learn with. ive herd alot about primos but ive also herd that alot of people use them and bulls will get call shy of them. with that being said id like to try a different brand. any advice?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out Bugling Bull Game Calls out of Orofino Idaho and Berry Big Bull Calls out of Wasington state. Both offer excellent reeds and tubes with reeds attached or diaphragms alone. Both provide very realistic sounds, though do take practice. One thing with calls, try several until you find the one you can become proficient with and provide good sound quality for you. A call for me, may not work for you and vice versa, especially diaphragm calls. You have 90 days to experiment, so good luck! Also, check out Elknuts collection of calls and playbook.

Swede

WKR
The most important part of any call is knowing what sound to make for a particular situation. Going around tooting in the forest is an effort in futility. You need to know what to say if you are planning to call in elk. Elknut is an absolute expert in calling and has developed excellent instructional videos, a book and the best calls in the business. He has the Chuckler XTR which has an external reed for those who can't use a mouth diaphram, or have not learned to use one. Give Paul a call after you view his web site at www.elknut.com. He has some kits that will meet your needs, and BTW the Chuckler XTR can have the external reed removed so it is a regular Chuckler when you are ready to go that way.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
X2 on anything the elknut sells. It will cut your learning curve in half. Paul connected so many dots for me in the elk calling world.

OP
flatlander51
I'm gonna add a question to this thread. How far away can a human hear an elk bugle? And, how far away can an elk hear a person buggle?

ElkNut1

WKR
With good conditions & an elevated calling position sound can travel a mile away where you can hear an elk bugle, guys with better ears than mine could hear even further! I'm sure elk can hear a good loud bugle in excess of a mile away. Wind can really be a deterrent in hearing well & getting a solid direction from where a bugle is coming from. This is why Bugling with Location sounds is a good proposition. You're trying to locate elk not call them to you.

ElkNut1

X10 on elknuts audio stuff that teaches you the proper way to call bulls in. Looking back on my pre-elknut days I realized I was just another yahoo with a bugle scaring elk away. Any bulls I called in was pure luck more than anything. Now post-elknut university I am actually having a conversation with a bull and telling him what he wants to hear. Now when I call for elk if I get a response 4 of 5 times the bull comes in. Buy his audio stuff now and any time your in your vehicle listen and practise along. When your done start over and listen again and again until the season starts.

Reflex

FNG
You'll like Elknuts calls and videos. I was in your boat a couple of years ago and after following along with the videos, I felt like I had a good handle on calling before my hunt. Good luck and practice, practice, practice!

Last edited:

thebugler

FNG
Flatlander, Im with Ross on this one. Bugling Bull game calls are fantastic! If you can stand having a diaphram reed in your mouth then try the Allstar and Raging bull reeds and the Bully Bull tube. The Temptress open reed cow call makes the sweetest sounds of any open reeds on the market. And if you cant stand that reed in your mouth, they offer an external mouth piece on the "Select-a-bull" and "Pack-a-bull" calling systems. All great options!

You can order them at elk101.com
http://www.elk101store.com/servlet/the-Elk-Calls/Categories

OP
flatlander51
thanks for the info. if i cant master this mouth reed ill check out the externals you recomended

RUTTIN

WKR
Bugling Bull game calls, and Elk Nuts Play Book. As was stated before, if you know what to say, and when to say it, it will make a big difference in how many bulls you call in.

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
after reading this thread and some others, I just ordered a package from Elknut. Sounds like quality stuff, and he sure has plenty of advice here. Thanks Elknut!

jmez

WKR
Good suggestions so far.

I would also highly recommend checking out the stuff Chris Roh puts out on his Roh hunting resources web site. Excellent information and well worth the subscription price to his web site.