beginner antelope gear

Hey guys,
So brand new to the forum but I’m trying to get into my first western hunt and want to do antelope, I’ve been in contact with game and fish agency’s asking questions and doing a ton of research. I have clothing, boots and a rifle covered but I feel like the most important aspect is optics and I feel overwhelmed.
First off would you go with both a spotting scope and Binos or one or the other? And what would you recommend, I don’t wanna spend a ton of money but I also don’t want crap, I’ve been looking at vortex but am open to anything.
Also any other gear you’d consider essential? Hopefully after this I’ll continue to build the gear list to continue western hunting so versatility is key.
thanks!

Northpark

WKR
For a first trip just get a good set of 10x or 12x binos and a tripod and you’re good to go. I would personally suggest a pair of vortex binos of your choosing and whatever tripod you find is sturdy along with an outdoorsman bino adapter and you’re good to go. Don’t need a lot of gear for antelope. Some game bags and a knife and you’re golden.

OP
N
Perfect! If I just get binos I’d feel better about getting something much more expensive. And I like the thought of vortex.
What’s the benifit of a spotting scope vs binos is it just magnification?
also does any one have any recommendations on a knife and game bags, I have some stuff I use mostly for waterfowl but I’d get a gerber or a bench made if it’s that much better.

Northpark

WKR
Only real reason for a spotter for speed goats is if you are being particular and are trying to judge trophy quality with higher magnification. Binos are way easier to look through for hours on end. Me personally I can’t look through a spotter for more than a few minutes without getting a headache. I can glass with my 15x50 vortex vipers for hours.

Knives any good hunting knife will do from Havalon to a buck folder. As long as it’s sharp you’re good. I really like caribou gear game bags.

bdan68

WKR
Optics aren't really that critical for antelope unless you're strictly looking for a Boone & Crockett buck. You don't even really need a spotting scope, nor do you need high end binoculars. You don't need to hunt early and late in the day like with deer and elk, so just a middle of the road binocular will work. If you're really on a budget I really like the Kowa YF series of binoculars. They're really great for the price, due to being a porro prism instead of roof prism. I have the 6x30's but I'm thinking about getting the 8x30's, and they would work just fine for antelope hunting. The Leupold Yosemite is basically the same binocular so look at those too. You can find them for as low as $75 or $80 on sale. But normally they're $100.

OP
N
Yea I’m not looking for a Boone and Crockett buck, I may even just do a doe hunt I just want the experience and the meat. I don’t mind spending some money on binos that’ll work in the future and be a little higher end but If I was going for a spotting scope as well then I’d be concerned about it.
any other recommendations you guys have been super helpful

bdan68

WKR
I'd say the scope on your rifle might be more important than your binoculars or spotting scope. Especially if you have a doe tag. Often you'll be looking at a big herd and they move a lot and don't stop for long so as you're following along looking through your scope, you want to be able to see really good so you don't accidentally shoot the wrong animal. So I'd be sure you have a good quality scope on your rifle and I've done fine with a 3-9 but I'd rather have a little more magnification.

packer58

WKR
Zippered pillow protectors from Walmart are dirt cheap and work very well for boned out meat........... I mean dirt cheap......

We had a group go Antelope hunting this year for the first time. I was all geared up for what I thought would be a long range glassing/shooting Afair. We get out of the Tahoe right after daylight and I look behind us before we start walking and there is a herd with a nice buck 100 yards away. My 19 year old son shot him. We never even got a chance to really hunt. I killed mine that evening. As a group we tagged out on Bucks the first day. 4 for 4.

What everyone is saying is spot on. Make sure your rifle/scope and binos are decent. Any sharp knife will work. Game bags are good to have with you, but we just drove right up to ours. Skinned them out and threw them right into the cooler.

OP
N
We had a group go Antelope hunting this year for the first time. I was all geared up for what I thought would be a long range glassing/shooting Afair. We get out of the Tahoe right after daylight and I look behind us before we start walking and there is a herd with a nice buck 100 yards away. My 19 year old son shot him. We never even got a chance to really hunt. I killed mine that evening. As a group we tagged out on Bucks the first day. 4 for 4.

What everyone is saying is spot on. Make sure your rifle/scope and binos are decent. Any sharp knife will work. Game bags are good to have with you, but we just drove right up to ours. Skinned them out and threw them right into the cooler.
I’m not gunna lie I hope I have to work for it a little! But good to know, the hunting is so different from florida where I’m from it’d be an experience

It was a blast. It is also depends on the Unit you are hunting. Ours didn’t have that much public land. After the first two days, the Antelope were pretty much gone out of the public places. It is a whole different western experience compared to Elk and Muledeer.

cb122

FNG
I went on my first Antelope/western hunt in October of this year. One piece of gear I made a note to pickup before returning is a gun cover/sock. Or, just have a rag and some lubricant handy in your pack. During my hunt, the wind was blowing 50-80mph and blowing dirt everywhere. I sat overlooking water one afternoon and my rifle bolt and safety were stuck. I did a quick field strip and cleaned it out to get it operational again. Sunglasses or clear lenses can keep dirt out of your eyes as well and are a necessity. I never experienced hunting winds of that magnitude coming from the Midwest so it was a lesson learned moment for me to apply to next year.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
Good 10x binoculars, leather gloves, perhaps kneepads, a knife, and a bottle of water. I use binoculars much more than I do my spotting scope, but the spotter is handy to see if a buck is worth the time to stalk. If score matters at all it is nice to study the horns for broken cutters, length, and mass. A new fellow most probably would be better off by not carrying a spotter.

I like the Alaska gamebags, but really almost anything will do the job.

Hey guys,
So brand new to the forum but I’m trying to get into my first western hunt and want to do antelope, I’ve been in contact with game and fish agency’s asking questions and doing a ton of research. I have clothing, boots and a rifle covered but I feel like the most important aspect is optics and I feel overwhelmed.
First off would you go with both a spotting scope and Binos or one or the other? And what would you recommend, I don’t wanna spend a ton of money but I also don’t want crap, I’ve been looking at vortex but am open to anything.
Also any other gear you’d consider essential? Hopefully after this I’ll continue to build the gear list to continue western hunting so versatility is key.
thanks!

wytx

WKR
I would opt for some decent binos, and I too am not a Vortex fan.
They will serve you on future hunts in your home state as well.
8 or 10x would be great. maybe some Maven C1s