Beginner boot recommendations

OP
J
They’ll be used for whitetail hunting in Indiana and Kentucky. Not really looking for insulated. I’d like to stay below $350

dtrkyman

WKR
No specific recommendations other than go somewhere you can try on several brands! Whitetail hunting the Midwest generally doesn't involve covering much ground.

Buy a quality brand that fits!

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
Like dtrkyman said try stuff on when and where you can as every boot company fits a bit different. Buy quality and keep an eye on the classifieds. As far as the original question... my Crispi Nevadas are by far my all time favorites.

Birddog1

FNG
I have gone through several boots trying to find the right one. I’m using them mostly for whitetail in Ohio myself. I have tried Crispi Nevada, Summit, Lapponia, Thor and Monaco; i still have the Nevada, Summit and Monaco but returned the others. I also tried Schnees Timberline, Kestrel and Divide - all returned, as well as Hanwag Alaska - also returned. I wanted to like Kenetrek Harscrabble but no go. I have finally settled on Lowa Ranger and Tibet. While they are stiff they just feel good on my feet, I love the Ranger III.

I'm fortunate to have a small local shop that sells Crispi as well as some Amish Harness and Boot shops that sell the other brands for great prices. I got the Tibets for $309, the Rangers for $249 so you can find good prices on great boots. Like others have said, try as many on as possible with the socks you plan to wear.

scout17

FNG
I have gone through several boots trying to find the right one. I’m using them mostly for whitetail in Ohio myself. I have tried Crispi Nevada, Summit, Lapponia, Thor and Monaco; i still have the Nevada, Summit and Monaco but returned the others. I also tried Schnees Timberline, Kestrel and Divide - all returned, as well as Hanwag Alaska - also returned. I wanted to like Kenetrek Harscrabble but no go. I have finally settled on Lowa Ranger and Tibet. While they are stiff they just feel good on my feet, I love the Ranger III.

I'm fortunate to have a small local shop that sells Crispi as well as some Amish Harness and Boot shops that sell the other brands for great prices. I got the Tibets for $309, the Rangers for $249 so you can find good prices on great boots. Like others have said, try as many on as possible with the socks you plan to wear.

I also love my Ranger IIIs. I went through a few different boots trying to find something that worked. For me the Rangers are a perfecr mix of not being too heavy, just still enough for my ankles and still feeling like a boot.

That said, don't be put off by a brand because of how one style fits. Im a solid 11.5 in evwrything. Had some Lowa Santiago's that were too tight and the heel make my arches hurt, rarely wore them. I switched to the Rangers and everything changed.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
They’ll be used for whitetail hunting in Indiana and Kentucky. Not really looking for insulated. I’d like to stay below $350
IMHO, you are overthinking it... For that kind of use, you just need something comfortable. Take your $350 hit a trusted retailer and try some on. You might even be able to save a few dollars. As you you add difficult terrain, extended duration hiking, heavy packs, cold weather, etc. the questions and answers get more complex, and deeper you need to dive into a boot search. Just my opinion...

kingsfoil

FNG
Asolo fugitive is one to look at. I really like them so far. Wide Open Spaces has a review that is interesting. Around $300 will get you a pair.

JFK

WKR
Check out meindl boots. Very happy with the pair I have and they are probably the best boot you could buy under $350.

three5x5s

WKR
I hunt and farm in Salomon Quest 4ds & Speedcross 3s, Salewa Alp trainers & Flows, Lowa Renegade. They are all great But I mostly tree stand hunt in Muck boots.
Check out Geartrade.com in the hiking boots section.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat as OP looking for decent boots that will primarily be used just for hunting season in CO. This year I got a tag for first rifle in the north/western part of CO. This will be my very first hunt and don't want to be unprepared but also cant really afford to buy $300+ Crispi's right now nor do i think my once a year hunt can justify spending that much on boots that will sit around most of the year.

Seems like most of the boots in the price range I'm looking for are hit or miss. I was checking out Salomon Quest 4's but durability seems to be an issue. I have access to La Sportiva discounts but once again they seem to be hit or miss and have awkward sizing. Seems like most of the lower end boots have issues with heavy packs. Salewa is also an option for me with a good discount

Last edited:

three5x5s

WKR
or try these for 150

Pootyng

FNG
I’m in the same situation except I put quite a few miles on my hunting boots through the hunting seasons across a variety of climates and terrain here in Ky. The last pair I had were Rocky that were American made. I tried a pair of lacrosse burley but I didn’t care for them.

kingsfoil

FNG
Asolo fugitive is one to look at. I really like them so far. Wide Open Spaces has a review that is interesting. Around $300 will get you a pair.
My pair leaked on a walk in the rain this morning... very disappointed. Going to try another pair and hope this was a rare manufacturing defect.