Beginner Caliber and Rifle

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to add another rifle to the safe. I have a 7mm REM Mag but want to add something that’s fun to shoot at the range and my nephews can use mule deer hunting with me. Since this isn’t my primary rifle, I’m not looking to break the bank.

Initially I was thinking Tikka T3x Lite in 6.5CM. Since I live in CA I want something that’ll shoot copper with no issue (fast-ish twist) with the understanding that whatever length I purchase the rifle at it’ll stay there - cans are illegal here.

I have toyed with the idea of a 25-06 but that may not be enough “umph” for hunting. Also, as for rifles, the Ruger American seems like a decent option given the price point. It would also allow me a little extra cash for a scope.

- RadDad

25/06 has ample oomph for big game, but lousy bullet choices.

A creedmoor is a better choice, or a 223 (8 twist) or 22/250 (8 twist).

The only ruger American I handled bound severely when cycling the bolt. Try to find a tikka or sauer. Use a swfa 6x to keep the budget in check.

Last edited:

11boo

WKR
I have a Ruger American in 6.5. The one that takes magpul 5 rd mags.

Cheap, a little rough around the edges to hit that price point, but it just shoots lights out with everything I’ve tried.

EDA2F42A-87BE-4BA3-A606-45F59A00F972.jpeg

Adding more info, the mags work well. But there is an issue seating the loaded factory 3 round on a closed bolt. It won’t seat till the bolt is open.
The opposite is true with the magpul 5s. Loaded, they seat fine on a closed bolt, but seating them on an open bolt is tricky. You push it in too far and it takes two hands to get it out.
The trigger group looks like it came out of a cap gun. Cheap cast housing.

But it all works.

Last edited:
The 6.5 creedmoor Ruger Predator is a good buy. I like it’s barrel contour a bit better than the American’s.
I armed my boys with 7mm-08’s, but I have an affinity for 7’s. I also have 6.5’s and they are fun to shoot, kids like them, and they kill stuff.
Get good mounts and an SWFA SS 6x for a low budget toy that will do long range. Or maybe spend 2x the scope bucks and get an Athlon Helos 2-12x

For a touch under or over $1k you can have a fun little gun.

Coxen02

FNG
I’ll second the 7mm-08 recommendation. Low recoil and a good little efficient cartridge. I’ve shot lots of deer with mine with good results. I personally think the 7mm bullet helps for game over smaller diameters. All the ones I’ve seen have been pretty accurate as well.

Jumpman

FNG
I'd suggest a 243 depending on their age and size. Definitely less recoil.
Couldn’t agree more, I alternate between a .243 and a .270 x bolt. .243 is definitely my safe go to when In doubt and is definitely enough to take down a white tail.

Michael54

WKR
My 6yr old can shoot our 7mm08 off of a field pod with no issues. It does have a boss end on it though.

tony

WKR
I have a Ruger American in 6.5. The one that takes magpul 5 rd mags.

Cheap, a little rough around the edges to hit that price point, but it just shoots lights out with everything I’ve tried.

View attachment 467973

Adding more info, the mags work well. But there is an issue seating the loaded factory 3 round on a closed bolt. It won’t seat till the bolt is open.
The opposite is true with the magpul 5s. Loaded, they seat fine on a closed bolt, but seating them on an open bolt is tricky. You push it in too far and it takes two hands to get it out.
The trigger group looks like it came out of a cap gun. Cheap cast housing.

But it all works.
Marlin guide gun? I've got one
I have a Savage 110 lightweight I think it is in 6.5 cm in one of the Kuiu camo patterns.
Fit and finish was a little better than the Ruger American. Bolt was a little stiff though, spent a few days cycling it a few minutes a day and it smoothed out.

Macintosh

WKR
Im not having any problem killing deer with copper bullets and a 6.5cm or 7mm08, both are plentyand carry enough velocity to reliably expand copper out past 400 yards, if not farther. FAR more factory ammo at various pricepoints available in the 6.5 so getting practice ammo, etc has been much easier for me. If you are handloading I feel like there are more bullet options in the 7mm, but that may be in my head. Performance-wise they are extremely close, probably close enough it doesnt matter.

25/06 has ample oomph for big gane, but lousy bullet choices.
Strongly agree and disagree with that one comment. A 25-06 has more than enough oomph and there are a lot of very good deer bullets available for it. I have personal experience with Nosler Ballistic Tips and Nosler Partitions. Reports are that Accubonds work well too. I can't imagine any of the bullets designed for big game not working well for mule deer. The OP has to use monos. Under what circumstances would the 25 caliber 100 grain Nosler Etip not be sufficient? Or any other manufacturer's 25 caliber mono.

Last edited:
Looking to add another rifle to the safe. I have a 7mm REM Mag but want to add something that’s fun to shoot at the range and my nephews can use mule deer hunting with me. Since this isn’t my primary rifle, I’m not looking to break the bank.

Initially I was thinking Tikka T3x Lite in 6.5CM. Since I live in CA I want something that’ll shoot copper with no issue (fast-ish twist) with the understanding that whatever length I purchase the rifle at it’ll stay there - cans are illegal here.

I have toyed with the idea of a 25-06 but that may not be enough “umph” for hunting. Also, as for rifles, the Ruger American seems like a decent option given the price point. It would also allow me a little extra cash for a scope.

- RadDad

My experience with both 24 and 25 caliber rifles on deer has been very good, though I don't shoot copper bullets. Where nephews and new shooters are involved, I'd be looking at 24/6mm. When I shoot my 6 Creed and my 6.5 Creed, both of which are similar, the 6.5 has noticeably more recoil. I love the 6 Creed, but not many manufacturers are picking it up in hunting rifles. That puts you at the 243. A 243 with a mono will smash bone and penetrate deeply. On post mortem, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a heart hit with a 90 grain 6mm mono bullet and a 6.5 120 grain mono bullet.

Depending upon the size of the nephews an adult length stock could be an issue. If they are smaller, a scope with a generous eye box and eye relief will be significantly easier for them to get settled in behind.

Strongly agree and disagree with that one comment. A 25-06 has more than enough oomph and there are a lot of very good deer bullets available for it. I have personal experience with Nosler Ballistic Tips and Nosler Partitions. Reports are that Accubonds work well too. I can't imagine any of the bullets designed for big game not working well for mule deer. The OP has to use monos. Under what circumstances would the 25 caliber 100 grain Nosler Etip not be sufficient? Or any other manufacturer's 25 caliber mono.
I’ll raise my hand in support of Fartrell’s above comment. I have a fair amount of experience on whitetails with a .25 cal. rifle, and agreeably its “more than enough oomph”, and I’ve reloaded for it with 100gr & 115gr Nosler BT’s, and have AccuBonds waiting for work up. Albeit, these aren’t copper monos, but I live in the southeast and we still slinging lead!

To the OP, if I was making a choice as you are for all of your criteria, then I’d go 7mm-08. Lots of 7mm bullets, great versatility, & easy shooting.

Under the conditions where you can't find that bullet in stock. Midway today shows 49 bullet options for 25 Cal projectiles, but 103 for 6.5.

For factory loaded ammo on Midway today, 25/06 has 24 options, 6.5 creed has 99.

I've had a 25/06 since 1999 and killed a ton of deer with it (all with 117 sierra gameking and a max load of h4831sc). However, it is neglected by bullet and ammo manufacturers when compared to the creed. There have been various component and ammo shortages since 2012, so for my current purchases I'm steering towards options with a bigger market share.

mt100gr.

WKR
I know the CA regs and copper bullet/ no suppressors, etc issues are important, but unless those kids have, and will get considerable trigger time (100s of rounds), I'd suggest a smaller cartridge. (Grendel?? Or one of the small 6mm comp chamberings?....does CA have caliber restrictions?

Last weekend I helped 4 kids fill tags in the MT youth deer hunt. 2 shooting .243s (13 year old and a 10 year old), 1 6.5creed (11 year old) and my daughter (12 year old) with her .223 (suppressed)

The .243s and 6.5cm took a combined total of 15 rounds to fill 3 tags. And in watching this all unfold, it's clear to me that those are pretty big guns for kids. One comfortable shot thru the lungs with the .223 had a deer on the ground in less than 20 yards....

I know my daughter would have not hunted her second and third years if she knew the kick and bark of one of those bigger rifles was coming with every squeeze.

Motown

WKR
You can’t go wrong with a 6.5 Creed and 120’s. As mentioned by someone else, you want speed with copper bullets, and the Creed will push 120’s around 3000 fps which should be more than fine within 300 yards.

My son is now 13 but has been shooting the Creed since he was 8 and has had no issues with recoil and 120’s. We don’t shoot copper and actually shoot the 120gr Ballistic Tips and they hammer deer hard.