Beginner camera?

rmk7483

FNG
Any suggestions for someone looking to get into some back country photography. I’ve been thinking about the Sony A6000. Thoughts or suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends what you want to do with it.

Backcountry could mean small and light, or rugged and durable.

If you want a back country system camera, I would highly recommend something weather proof and rugged like the Sony A6500+, Olympus E-M1 , and E-M5 series (any version). Sony added in body stabilization and weather sealing to that version. But I’d still rather have the Olympus for lens options. Much broader selection.

If you want something that’s simpler, all in one, then there is no better choice IMHO than the RX100 VI or the RX10 IV. The RX100 VI is a pocketable, sharp (sharper than the sub A6000 sized zoom lenses, all of which I’ve owned) 24-200mm thing about as big as a deck of cards. It isn’t waterproof but it is surprisingly durable. The 10 IV is bigger, but still manageable for wild life. It is a system camera replacement. Its 24-600mm (600mm is where wildlife photography begins) and also sharp at 600mm.

For beginners, outdoor photography, I like the RX series - would rather own a couple of these for various conditions than an A6000 and some of their less durable APSC lenses.

OP
R

rmk7483

FNG
Awesome! Thank you for all the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are advantages to both. The RX is small and will fit into your pocket. The 1" sensor makes it better then most point and shoots but the crop sensor being 3x larger will yield better images.
Feel free to call me at 516-217-1000
Joel
Camera Land
516-217-1000

The 1" sensor makes it better then most point and shoots but the crop sensor being 3x larger will yield better images.
516-217-1000

The advantage of the A6000 is with prime or higher end zoom lenses.

Out of box an A6000 with the 16-50 and 55-210 kit lenses will not beat an RX camera at the same focal length. The weakness of Sony APS-C mirrorless zooms is widely known.

jspradley

WKR
The A6XXX series are killer cameras!!! If you have the budget it might be worth it to bump up to one of the weather sealed bodies but they are all great.

You definitely want to upgrade from the kit lens though, it's kinda poop.

I have no experience with Olympus cameras but people seem to love them for outdoor uses, don't overlook Fuji as well. Their XT series cameras are great, only downside IMO is lens price and selection.

There is no better camera setup for all weather photography under $1000 then Olympus. The E-M5 with the 14-150 lens are both all weather. Sony is a great option, but like every other crop sensor camera, while some bodies are weatherproof, the crop sensor lenses are not. No help at all. If you go with Sony's full frame lenses then you have a big crop factor and a lot of $$

The Olympus, right now, would be $929.99 with a case and 32 gig rugged card.

Apex_Hunt

FNG
I am a newbie when it comes to videography and photography but after picking up the canon sl2 last year I have been very impressed I like how it has auto focus and a foldable screen to video different angles. Definitely would check it out for your daughter I believe they even came out with a canon sl3 but I think the only difference is that the sl3 shoots in 4K and the sl2 shoots in 1080p so you may be able to purchase the sl2 for cheaper you should be able to find the sl2 for around $400 now a days. In my opinion I really believe that when it comes to hunting videos 4K and 1080p really don't matter.