Beginner, could use some help finishing a bow

caddis75

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

So I'm only in my second season of bow hunting, so I still consider myself a beginner. I picked up a new (to me) bow here and need to spec it out. I've only hunted with a bear RTH package in the past, so I'm a bit lost with the direction I want to go in for a sight, wrist sling, release, stabilizers, and quiver. Where should I spend more and where could I save? What brands/ models should I look at? I've only ever shot with a cheap Cabela's index release before.

Thanks.

In my opinion id say first and most importantly spend money on a good rest, like hamskea or a qad. Something tried and true by tons of people on here.
Second id say a good sight but if your new, a fancy dial sight might not be needed depending on your shooting distance comfort. But they are awesome for making adjustments easier.
I wouldnt cheap out on arrows but you also dont need match grade ones. Theres tons of good options on here if you search it for a very reasonable price.
Everything else isnt really important as long as you got a bow thats tuned to your arrows.
Edit: i agree with the release idea being number one maybe, then you can build of of good mechanics from the jump. That nock on silver back back tension release taught me so much and corrected 12 years of a poor shot process. And it helped me grow as an archer. Also love my nock to it from there. Its a tough pill to swallow spending $200+ on a release but it will help you be a better all around archer.

Last edited:
Below is how I'd prioritize my spending outfitting a bow with some brief thoughts on each item. Trying things out in person is worth a lot (particularly with releases). Most of these decisions boil down to personal preference.
  1. Release: There's more diversity of form and function amongst releases than any other accessory. Activation mechanism (index trigger, thumb trigger, hinge, back tension) and handheld vs. wrist strap are the main differentiators. Top brands I'd be considering (in no particular order): Carter, Nock On, Stan, TRU Ball.
  2. Rest: You didn't mention this accessory specifically, so maybe you're already set on a rest. Hamskea would be my top choice due to their reputation for reliability and their versatile design (can be set up for top/bottom limb drive or cable drive and can swap components for hunting or target applications).
  3. Sight: Fixed pins vs. single pin movable vs. multi-pin movable is your main decision. I have an Option sight on both of my compounds because I like its unique ability to switch between single pin and multi-pin modes. If I had to choose a sight other than an Option, it would be a Black Gold.
  4. Quiver: In my mind, there's Tight Spot then everything else. Tight Spot is the most versatile and customizable, but at the end of the day as long as your arrows don't fall out, the quiver is doing it's job.
  5. Stabilizer: I use a tiny TruGlo "Deadenator" that I'm sure does practically nothing for stabilization purposes and serves only to dampen vibration. I have no desire to invest significant money adding significant weight to a hunting bow...maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

OP
C

caddis75

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all. I went to Lancaster Archery and did some searching on forums. I picked up a SH sight and a tru-ball thumb release, both seemed to have gotten good reviews. The bow came with a QAD drop away rest, so I'm going to start there. The bow seller used Hexx arrows, so I got three of them and will bare tune the bow then fletch them. I got a cheap quiver for now, but that 3 arrow tight spot looks really nice. I'm just hesitating because is $150 for a quiver, lol.

I didn't deal with the stabilizers yet as the bow hasn't arrived yet. My last bow didn't have any, I'm not sure what I'm missing, but once I get it dialed in, I'll deal with that. TY again.

Last edited:

kcm2

WKR
At less than half the Tight Spot price, I'm fond of Treelimb quivers......looks like what you've done will be improvement in each case. Good luck.

Thanks all. I went to Lancaster Archery and did some searching on forums. I picked up a SH sight and a tru-ball thumb release, both seemed to have gotten good reviews. The bow came with a QAD drop away rest, so I'm going to start there. The bow seller used Hexx arrows, so I got three of them and will bare tune the bow then fletch them. I got a cheap quiver for now, but that 3 arrow tight spot looks really nice. I'm just hesitating because is $150 for a quiver, lol.

I didn't deal with the stabilizers yet as the bow hasn't arrived yet. My last bow didn't have any, I'm not sure what I'm missing, but once I get it dialed in, I'll deal with that. TY again.
Check on the talon quiver from conquest/black eagle

Yuhboyrob

FNG
I personally wouldn’t spend a ton on a quiver. I went to my local archery shop and found the lightest/ cheapest quiver I could find at about $40 and it’s worked great ever since. Tight spots are awesome but I can’t get myself to spend that much on something that just holds my arrows. Something else that been a good addition to my bow was a sling. Carrying the bow all day can be a pain and 5-6 pounds actually starts to feel pretty darn heavy after a day in the mountains lol I got mine from jakt gear, veteran owned and it’ll last forever.