Beginner Diaphragm Advice

I am looking for feedback on Phelps diaphragms. I would like to buy a couple diaphragms for my buddy who is new to elk hunting. I am hoping to get some advice as I have never used the calls and already use another brand.

Thanks in advance.

OP
Chopper333
We were chatting and he wanted to try to use Phelps calls. During our conversation, I mentioned that I tried a few calls before I found what worked for my small mouth. As he is a plane ride away, I can't really help him out except over the phone. I am sure once he starts trying calls, he will start buying a bunch similar to most of us.

ElkNut1

WKR
For any new user to elk reeds they need to start with a soft user friendly latex. If they use a tighter tensioned single reed they most likely will struggle & easily become frustrated feeling reeds aren't for them.

With the Phelps reeds consider the Black & Gray Amp Reeds, they are the softer latex. Those reeds are for the average to smaller pallets which is 90% of the elk hunters out there. Those reeds are the 1/2" ones, they are not listed on the package as that but they are 1/2" wide frames! Good Luck!

p.s. if you have the ElkNut Mobile App you can order them off of it!

ElkNut

ColoHtr

FNG
I've just started learning with diaphragms. I've been practicing with the Rocky Mountain game calls All-Star, got decent cow sounds but was unhappy with the bugles. Picked up a few other of their calls plus some from Phelps last week, first one in was the Phelps Signature AMP, and it sounded like I'd been bugling for years! Also, ElkNut app has been an amazing resource, thank you Paul.

n2mywake

FNG
You need to take heed of elknuts advice for sure. I advised my buddie to start with something without a dome or plate type call until he can make some sounds.

X2 on the elknut app. I still use it often as a reference or sounding board

I use a variety of different calls and backups for my favorites
abc1ca2c9c949179724fecc98ab2cc69.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Outdoorjoe318

Lil-Rokslider
For just startig and learning how, you may be well served to buy him a set of the primos calls, save some money and let hi try a few different feels, then can move on from there.

Personally, I do like Phelps but for whatever reason Rocky Mountain blue and red are always what I reach for first. Not that I am some outstanding caller, but they feel good to me...

Whip

WKR
I don't have any input on Phelps so can't help there. But for any newbie to diaphragm calls the best advice is to just practice having the thing in your mouth before even attempting to make sounds with it. Tuck it in a cheek and practice transferring it around the mouth between the cheek and the roof of your mouth, back and forth. Leave it in for longer and longer periods until it is comfortable to have there.
The biggest problems for new users is conquering the gag reflex. Guys that try to make sounds immediately often struggle with this and end up giving up before they learn to be comfortable with it. Only after becoming comfortable will you be able to start figuring out which brand works best in your mouth.

I’ve tried a disturbing amount of diaphragm calls and I keep going back to the Phelps amp frame. I think the softer tape on the calls combined with the smaller frame size just work great for my small mouth.
Here is a guide to help with choosing Phelps diaphragms.9F7DD760-98FB-4C6E-BFF7-8399986F6E18.jpeg

Sled

WKR
one thing i learned was to stop trying to tell someone how they need to do it based on the way you do it. each mouth is different. they need to understand the general idea behind making sound with the reed and then apply that to their mouth shape. my pallet makes me blow different brands in different ways. i found the phelps brand to be the most consistent for my mouth but again, everyone is different.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls guy myself. Rockie has tons of instructional videos on YouTube on using diaphragms and getting started. One thing that's very important is the FIT of a diaphragm. Your mouth is a unique shape and you need the right width frame, and dome/no dome to fit properly and help you seal the air. I find RMHC offers more variety in frame sizes and domes.

Make sure your buddy is getting the right fit before much else. After that I'd echo ElkNut. Light, loosely stretched single latex will be the easiest to learn on. Mellow Momma, D2 Elk Camp, or Champ would be the three I'd start with from RMHC. If you have a super wide pallet try the herd master, if your pallet is super narrow stick to Corey's line or the mini Master.

Good Luck!