Beginner Glassing

Beginner Glassing

Hello, I tried to search this, and maybe I didn’t have the right keywords, but I only came up with one good thread. I have absolutely zero glassing experience. I’ve been hunting elk the past 10 years, most of which has been archery. Where we’ve been hunting, you really can’t glass too far.

I just drew an NM barbary tag and it seems like this is going to be all glassing. As of right now, I only have a pair of Leupold 10x 42’s. I’m not sure of the model(bx-4?). I think I’m ok with those, but I’ve never used anything high end before.

Sooo… obviously this is personal preference, but are most people glassing with a spotting scope or a big pair of binoculars? Could I get buy with buying a nice pair of 15-18x binos and borrowing a low-end spotter?

I felt like I would be glassing with the big binos to find the sheep, and then maybe use the spotting scope to determine if there were rams and if I wanted to go after them. Is that a safe assumption? If I could get by with just buying the big binos and tripod, I could buy much nicer. Would I carry 2 pairs of binos and a spotting scope?

What does anyone’s typical day of glassing look like?

Thanks!

BBob

WKR
I'd say the most common setup down here in the SW for many many years is 10's on your neck, 15's in the pack and a spotter if you can afford one. You can do really well with 15's as your main glass and no spotter. For my $$$ the only ones I'd consider (15's) are Meopta or Swaro. Many are fans of 12's, I own the best there but still prefer my 15's if I'm limiting myself to binoculars or binoculars and a spotter. If I'm not carrying big glass like BTX or Twins I'll be in my 15's all day long using a spotter for verification and the 10's when moving. On occasion if I've exhausted everything I can glass effectively with the 15's I'll glass with the spotter.

Id bet if your not use to glassing, big binos would be your best friend.
Idk if you read this thread but i found some neat tips in this one

Bob nailed it, get some top tier 15s. Also get a good steady tripod and a fluid head. Don't go cheap on the tripod/head either. If you get a good deal on some used swaros you can sell them when you're done for little to no loss. Could also look into renting a btx. You're investing a ton of time and money for this hunt, don't sell yourself short with cheap glass. I've never hunted audad but heard it's a lot like a coues hunt. Get comfortable behind your glass; if you think you've already glassed that face, glass it again and again. Slow down, don't try to glass the whole mountain at once. Good luck!

OP
blackbantam
Id bet if your not use to glassing, big binos would be your best friend.
Idk if you read this thread but i found some neat tips in this one
Thanks, I have added this to my reference list!

OP
blackbantam
Thanks for the input guys. Are 15s a sweet spot? I am seeing some binos that are 18x. Is that too big? Is too big a thing? I'm not a huge guy, so I normally try to keep a pretty light pack.

I realy like my 18’s, but i bough nl pure 12x and dont have a spotter and i think a spotter would pair woth those really well. But for big binos peoples only gripe with 18’s is FOV. I think theres no weight dofference if i remebr right. So thats your call FOV or magnification

nobody

WKR
My glassing setup consists of some high end 10x50's and a solid tripod with a good fluid head. I spend 90% of my time behind this setup and can comfortably glass for long stretches of time out to about 1500 yards on mule deer, further with elk. I'm not resolving cheaters on a mule deer buck at that distance or making out devils tines on bulls or counting annuli on a bighorn sheep, But I can count tines and judge frame comfortably. Then I pull out a spotter to further verify what I'm looking at. But even then, I can count on one hand the number of hunts I carried my spotting scope on. I just don't use it much.

If you're happy with your binos, spend some money on a solid tripod and high quality fluid head. Buy a bino adapter and put your binos on the tripod, sit down and get comfortable, and SLOW THE FREAK DOWN. You'll spot more game doing this than if you buy some Swaro 12x50's and hand hold them.

I've got a pair of 15's, and as much as I like them, I really don't use them much. They're cool in theory but I just don't see enough of an increase over my 10's to make it worth it. If I had it to do all over again, I would jump to 18's instead of the 15's. If you can, try to rent some 15's to take on the hunt if it intrigues you. High power binos aren't cheap, and renting them for a few hundred bucks can save you some serious buyers remorse if your $2k purchase doesn't pan out how you hope. I know there's companies out there who will rent optics for hunts, maybe someone with experience with them can chime in?

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet.

If this is a one time deal (true glassing), save your money and just rent a pair of SLC 15s and tripod/head for this hunt.

If true glassing will continue to be on the menu, look at buying top tier 15s or 18s. They’ll allow you to stay in the glass longer and allow you to find more game (skill dependent).

Contrary to what some say, you do not need to spend a small fortune to get a functional tripod and head. Call Doug at CameraLand.

I’d honestly pass on a spotting scope until you start to need one on a consistent basis. Meanwhile save your money and upgrade your 10s. Look at Kowa Genesis 44; call Doug at CameraLand.

In the interim learn to glass. It is a slow methodical process to dissect country to look for bits and pieces of a partially obscured animal. Based upon personal observation, what most people call glassing is actually them scanning or looking around with their binoculars. Don’t do that as you’ll likely miss a ton of animals.

OP
blackbantam
Thanks for everyone's responses. I'm going to begin the hunt for some 15 or 18x binos. The next issue I'm seeing is that eye relief could be an issue with my glasses, but I'm going to start a new thread on that. Thanks!

Gone4Days

WKR
I live out west and I use 15x SLC’s for tripod glassing and 8x’s SLC’s on my chest if that helps. I also have a spotter I use more for scouting